"13 Places to Indulge Your Inner Horse Lover" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the list, 13 Places to Indulge Your Inner Horse Lover. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

I feel the list is missing Haras du Pin in France, known as the equine Versailles and the Fundacion Real Escuela Andaluza Del Arte Ecuestre in Spain with the dancing Andalusians.

3 Likes

You can add “Rohetgarh” near Jodhpur. Its a heritage mansion which is now turned into a hotel and is famous for Horse Safari tours at nearby village. And you guys have already added a link to Marwari Horses, so Rohetgarh is the right example for Marwari Horses.
Plus one my suggestion which I would like to suggest is the Horse farm at Nanded, Maharashtra India. Nanded is a famous Sikh pilgrimage and here you will find the horses which are said to be the ancestors of horses used by Sikh army in 16-17th century.

3 Likes

The Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in Hot Springs, SD is 11000 acres of prairie land on which mustangs roam free. American, Spanish, Curly, & Choctaw Mustangs all make their home there.

3 Likes

The wonderful Lippizaners in Vienna, the many wild ponies of Iceland, and -yes- the Budweiser Clydesdales :smile:

4 Likes

https://pinelandfarms.org/national-museum-of-the-morgan-horse/
The morgan horse pride and product of America

2 Likes

Morgans really are the best—I’m fortunate to own one and to have grown up riding them!

1 Like

One of my top 5 Bucket List items was to see the Lipizzaner Stallions perform and an amazing turn of events allowed me to not only see them but see them at the Riding School including a private tour of the stables.
As I took in the smells of stables and saddles, I had to pinch myself!
When the performance began, I was physically on the edge of my seat with tears rolling down my face at the incredible majesty of these animals.

3 Likes

I vote the horses of Chinoteague get a mention in future. I’m planning a trip to that area and hope to get a glimpse of the herd.

The Brumbies on Australia’s coast are apparently neat to spot as well. Another feral herd roaming the areas.

1 Like

You missed the Akhal-Teke, a rare breed from Turkmenistan. They are known for their metallic sheen, and are one of the oldest modern horse breeds.

1 Like

Also missing, the Camarque horses of the Camarque marshes and deltas of France’s Rhone Valley.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-WP7Z4Rmc.

1 Like

And, then, there are the Welsh Pit Ponies, small horses used in the Welsh coal mines until about 20 years ago.
THE PIT PONY SANCTUARY & FFOREST UCHAF HORSE & PONY REHABILITATION CENTRE is based on a small 20+ acre hill farm near Pontypridd South Wales. It still has one pit pony, named Spike.
https://www.pitponies.co.uk

I understand they are not used in Great Britain, Canada or the USA anymore, but are still used elsewhere.

1 Like

The brother of the sculptor of Man Harnessing Industry, Mr. Lantz, went to the burgeoning animation studio scene in Los Angeles about the same time his brother won the competition to design artwork for this agency and developed the immortal Woody Woodpecker, dropping the “t” from the family name. This is a true fact.

How about the Caspian Horse?

1 Like

I believe this listing is missing The island of Vieques, Puerto Rico. Tons of horses roaming the island!

1 Like

There are some sites not on the list which are the most emblematic and oldest monuments to the significance of the horse to human beings. These are the Prehistoric /Paleolithic cave paintings of Southern France and Northern Spain.

Two that I have visited and highly recommend are Tito Bustillo cave (The more impressive of the two) and Pena de Candamo cave in Asturias, Spain. Both sites show breathtakingly haunting images made of horses from the dawn of human history.

I’m sure that any horse lover would love to see this art and be able to contemplate how profound the connection between our species and equines has always been and how in the very beginning even before domestication it was one imbued with religious reverence.