7-10 day July 2019 Holiday in Chicago

Hi,
We are planning a 7-10 day holiday in July 2019 and oir plan is to enjoy Chicago city and any suggestion close-by (Michigan Lake, Illinois,…).
Could you please give us any ideas?
Thanks and best regards

2 Likes

Aside from what is on the Atlas and the weekend guide, I would definitely recommend that you attend one of the local events! Chicago is one of the largest Atlas Obscura chapters, and they always produce amazing and illuminating events. Event listings tend to be published 3-4 weeks ahead of time, so check in closer to your trip here: http://atlasobscura.com/chicago

4 Likes

If you want to do some of the more “touristy” things, the Go Chicago card gives you access to the more popular sights at reduced prices, and maybe even lets you bypass some of the lines. I live in the Chicago suburbs and have even wanted to use this (even though I’ve already been to them all!) You definitely have a good amount of time to take advantage of it. One of the best cities ever! (BTW, I am not affiliated with GoCard, just think it’s a good idea having used them in other cities)

3 Likes

Gocards are definitely great ways to get around Chicago! While you’re here, I also suggest getting out of the downtown/mag mile area and checking out the different neighborhoods as well. The most touristy aspects of Chicago are downtown, but most locals live outside of the downtown area, as it’s mostly centered on commerce. What you’re interested in will depend on which neighborhood to visit, but for examples, there’s Wicker Park which has shopping/old mansions/trendy businesses and restaurants, Logan Square which is Wicker Park’s cooler and more tattooed neighbor with lots of fun bars and restaurants, Andersonville is the old Swedish neighborhood with shops, dining, and antiques, Lincoln Park has the park and a wonderful free zoo, you can rent bikes and bike up the Lakefront Trail to see the lake and the city, and so much more. Most places are easily accessible via CTA. I wouldn’t plan on driving in Chicago if you can avoid it, as parking can be hard to find and very expensive. The CTA (our train and bus system) can get you most anywhere in the city.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot to all!!!
Larissa, we will be ready 3-4 weeks in advance to look at the local events :+1:
Michele, it sounds interesting, we take note to use it :wink:
And Leyla, really appreciate your detailed message! Everything sounds attractive! Defintely we will read more about the different neighborhoods and chose several to visit and enjoy :slight_smile:
Best regards!

2 Likes

Like previously stated below, what’s on the Atlas is pretty great! But there are also many other great things to do here.

For example, if you wanted to find out a bit of Chicago’s history, I would suggest you visit the Chicago History Museum it’s so, so cool; I’ve personally gone several times.

The Chicago History Museum is also right by North Avenue Beach, which many people seem to enjoy; however, I would actually suggest to go to Hollywood Beach on the North Side or 31st Street Beach on the South Side. Both are wonderful.

If you’re looking for a less mainstream bar/club, I would suggest the following:

Exit (On the cusp of Ranch Triangle and Goose Island – biker/punk bar with revolving themes for their second floor)

Debonair (In Wicker Park – only go on Neo Thursdays though)

The Owl (In Logan Square – it’s a bar that I hate that I love and love to hate. It’s cheap and open late.)

Berlin (In Boystown (Lakeview) – Awesome places for queers and allies; every night is always a blast)

As for eats: the more expensive doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better. There are so many “hole in the wall” places in Chicago that are so freaking wonderful. Some great places are:

D’Agostino’s Pizza and Pub (Lakeview)

S&G’s Restaurant (Lakeview)

Chicago Diner (Two locations; Logan Square and Lakeview)

Steingold’s of Chicago (Ravenswood)

Taqueria Moran (Logan Square)

Hollywood Grill (Wicker Park)

Big Top Restaurant (Gladstone Park / Jefferson Park)

La Vaca (Pilsen)

There are so many more places to visit and eat at! Those are just some places I frequent. Hope this helps!!

3 Likes

Thank you for the great recommendations!

1 Like

Blue Chicago for a favorite dive with live local music.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot nicanderson921, everything sounds GREAT!!!

2 Likes

The best joint in Chicago, IMO: The Berghoff.

It’s a Chicago institution, located in the loop - beautiful inside and out, fascinating history (liquor license #1 post-prohibition!).

Strongly recommend!

2 Likes

Love The Berghoff!

1 Like

The Art Institute is wonderful but I enjoyed the little Mexican Museum of Art in Pilsen even more.

1 Like

Take the CTA to Chinatown which is a short hop south of the Loop. and go to MingHin for dim sum. They also have a regular menu. Dim sum is served between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Late night dim sum is served between 9:00 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. Their extensive regular menu is available from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.

MingHin’s address is 2168 South Archer Avenue, and their phone number is (312) 808-1999. Website: https://www.minghincuisine.com/ Do browse the menus ahead of time.

1 Like

A couple festivals to recommend in July and One To Avoid:
Recommended
July 4-7, the reggae International Festival of Life
July 12-14, Square Roots American folk music and food
July 19-21, Tacos y Tamales Festival and Sheffield Garden Walk
July 21, Chinatown Summer Fair
July 25-28, Fiesta Del Sol
AVOID AT ALL COSTS
July 10-14, the Taste of Chicago. if possible, don’t visit Chicago during that time. If you’re in Chicago, stay away from that whole area of downtown/Michigan Avenue. The traffic is horrible!

1 Like