A Fond Forum Farewell

Hello Atlas Obscura Community!

Well, it’s about that time. I started working at Atlas Obscura in 2013, just a freelance gig putting together winking lists about UFOs and LARPs, and since then I’ve written or edited thousands of place pages, authored hundreds of stories, and had the opportunity to contribute in some way to just about every part of the company as it’s grown. But one of the things I’ve been happiest to do is bring our forums to life.

It’s been nearly a year since we first introduced the Atlas Obscura Community Forums, and in that time it has been my absolute pleasure to help build a space where we can communicate with our community, and to get to know so many incredible members of the Atlas Obscura community. From long-simmering content experiments like the Atlas Obscura Book Club to just sharing our favorite tunes or what we were up to that day, interacting with everyone here has been a true pleasure.

But to paraphrase one of my favorite Star Trek episode titles, all good things… I’m excited to share that I’ll be moving over to our Experiences team to begin developing a new collection of tours and events, aimed directly at bringing our greatest database places and stories to life! This means that I might be coming to your city with some incredible new Atlas Obscura events and experiences for you to join in on, and I hope to see you there!

With my timely passing, the Community forums will pass on to the capable and friendly hands of our Web Producer, @jonathancarey , who you probably already know from here in the forums. He’s the coolest.

Once again, I want to thank everyone here in the forums for all of the terrific contributions you’ve made to creating a friendly, safe, and wondrous place to connect with other curious people. Also, I won’t be going far, so never hesitate to drop me a line at eric@atlasobscura.com!

Eric Grundhauser
Programming Lead | Atlas Obscura

30 Likes

@EricGrundhauser, thanks for everything! :grinning: It’s been a pleasure engaging with you on this forum and you get all the high-fives and a whole heap of kudos for bringing this thing to life and making it work (and work so well).

I salute you and wish you all the best for the future! Live long and prosper! :vulcan_salute:t3:

3 Likes

Come to Ottawa!
Thanks for all your work, I know how challenging it can be to keep things active.

3 Likes

Thanks for everything you’ve done with the Community forums, Eric. Your choice of topics stimulated many informative discussions and encouraged me to actively participate in several of them shortly after I joined Atlas Obscura. Your own active participation in these discussions stimulated contributions from other members which added detailed information and insights that I might otherwise never have gained elsewhere. I’m certain you will prove to be a very valuable addition to the Experiences team. Best wishes to you in all your future endeavors.

6 Likes

Great for you, bummer for us! You ran some of my favorite forum threads. Wishing you happy travels in your new position!

2 Likes

A brilliant forum editor and an overall awesome guy with a great sense of humour and always there to help. I wouldn’t even know about the existence of the forum if it wasn’t for Eric reaching out to me via email.

I’m very glad that you will still be working with Atlas Obscura though and I know you will bring a lot to the experiences department.

6 Likes

I’m excited that you’re moving to the Experiences department! I know you’ll work up some wonderful experiences for all of us.

And do give some thought to the many fascinating experiences you can have in Memphis…

2 Likes

Ch-ch-changes
There’s gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can’t trace time

Though we’ve only communicated electronically, I will have to console myself with reading about your new adventures. There is always an “Open Door” Policy awaiting you in ‘Auld Reekie’ Safe Travels, Soft Landings, & Haste Ye Back :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So excited that Eric is going to be working on bringing experiences like Atlas Obscura walking tours to our community! Look for some of those experiences to be rolling out soon in our own backyard of Brooklyn.

2 Likes

So exciting for you, and certainly for others as you bring experiences to fruition! You’ve done great work on the forums and helped bring stories out of others for the benefit of us all. The work you’ve done matters. I’m so ready to see the cool things you do next!

2 Likes

Wishing you all the best in your new adventures! I sincerely appreciated your keen sense of observation and your ability to see the beauty in the simplest of places. Cheers!

3 Likes

It would be a good idea to post U.F.O. landing sites all around the world! :thinking:

2 Likes

Thanks for all duder. Have fun on the other team.

2 Likes

Haven’t been around the community for very long but would like to thank you for what you have done here and to wish you the best as a new member of the Experiences team.

1 Like

Godspeed, Eric! Enjoy the Experiences. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind words!!! You’re all amazing, and my heart is officially warm. Also, HI!

3 Likes

Eric - nice work. You really kept things snappy. you will be missed.

Take care and thanks for everything :slightly_smiling_face:

@EricGrundhauser, thank you for making the Forum such a great feature. I continue to enjoy the discussions here and I will look forward to seeing all the exciting developments you will no doubt bring to the events and experiences!

Thank you so much! Cheers! …and happy trails. :blush: