Acadian Summer Savory

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Acadian Summer Savory. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Actual summer savory is not just a Mediterranean herb; it is (and has been) known and used for centuries throughout Europe. In Germany it’s called Bohnenkraut (literally translated: “bean herb” owing to its affinity for that vegetable–among many others.

I never make a pot of beans without Summer Savory. Green Beans, too.

Right–I actually MEANT green beans! (My mom grew up in Germany, and despite being swept up—like everyone else—in the “great culinary tsunami” that began in the 1960s, and despite her fluent, accent-free English, she somehow never thought to check a bilingual dictionary for Bohnenkraut—and never knew of or used Summer Savory! (Only after I Googled it fairly recently did I finally “get it”!:smiley:

Continuing the discussion from Acadian Summer Savory:

It is also indispensable, i find, in puttanesca & pizza sauce. Also, especially the young pre-flowering-stage leaves are deliciously incorporated into salad dressings.

1 Like