Recently I’ve been trying to visit more of the places near me as a fun weekend activity. I’m a big fan of the site but, to put it nicely, I think there’s a lot of room for UX improvement.
- The map needs an option to color/hide markers for visited places. When I’m looking for a new place nearby to visit I waste a lot of time accidentally clicking places I’ve already been. It’s impossible to tell at-a-glance if I’ve fully explored an area.
- I don’t really want to see markers for places which are permanently closed. At least show them in gray or something.
- Place categories or tags would be helpful - especially if they could be used to color and filter map markers. For example: when it comes to planning a visit there’s a big difference between an outdoor sculpture I can walk by and a museum that charges admission.
- It’d be great if I could markup/annotate places and have that reflected on the map. Simple example: differentiate places flagged “want to visit”.
- On a more technical note: the map page performance is pretty bad . It takes 15-20 seconds to load on my desktop. PageSpeed Insights rates the page a 6/100. I’m surprised it works on my phone at all.
In case anyone is interested: I’ve been using a TamperMonkey script to improve the page a bit for my use. It makes visited markers semi-transparent and it remembers the map location from previous visits. I didn’t see any API to load visited places so you have to visit your profile page first for it to collect that information.
Disclaimer: Don’t trust scripts from random people on the internet. If you can’t verify this yourself you probably shouldn’t install it.