America's First Banned Book Really Ticked Off the Plymouth Puritans

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, America’s First Banned Book Really Ticked Off the Plymouth Puritans. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

One partner obviously was interested in persons as humans, while the other viewed people for commerce. One was friends with Indians while the other went to Virginia to purchase slaves. That shows the difference in men.

Also, there was a difference between the Puritans and the Pilgrims. They were not the same. One was just religious and the other were true Christians.

Study the life of Squanto and we find out how he helped them to survive. If it was not for him, the Pilgrims would have starved the second winter in the new land.

1 Like

Be careful not to let your public school indoctrination show so clearly.

2 Likes

Thank to the volunteers at Distributed Proofreaders & Project Gutenberg, you don’t need $60,000 to read The New English Canaan – you can read it online for free.

1 Like

I wonder what USA would be like today without Puritan influence?

1 Like

I found it hard to assess this article. It lacks any references to official actions which may have banned Thomas Morton’s book. The quotation attributed to William Bradford was actually by Bradford’s nephew, Nathaniel Morton, in a 1669 volume, New England’s Memorial.
2019-11-05T05:00:00Z

1 Like

Your title is a bit misleading. The Pilgrims settled Plymouth, NOT the Puritans. They came later and were a disaster in the making.

2 Likes

What I found surprising was that Ms. Knol would suggest - with no citation or evidence, it seems - that it was a lie the book was published in Amsterdam. Has she forgotten that these people were established for many years in Holland before the voyage. Of course their contacts would have been there. She questions this despite telling us that this publisher was “in fact a well-known purveyor of Puritan books.” Why then, would they not have been known by Morton. He traveled to this continent with that same group? Does not seem Morton had any qualms about London. He returned there to write the book!

1 Like