Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake in Syracuse, Utah. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Multiple visits between 2000-2006.

Locals like to complain about the stench from the brine shrimp and the annoying flies out here, but Antelope Island always represented a bit of mystery and wonder to me. Also it was fun to float in the Salt Lake. I have not been out since the Lake has receded so dramatically.

I’m from Salt Lake, and the stink… is real.

I love the American West, but had never spent any time in Salt Lake City and environs, so I made a special trip in June of last year to rectify that lapse, seeing the city, the Wasatch Range, and, of course, the Lake. I had minimal expectations for Antelope Island, but drove out there on a sunny late afternoon and I was truly enchanted by the place. Yes, it was stinky while crossing the causeway, but once on the island, there was very little of that. What I got was a marvelous zen experience with the starkly beautiful land and lakescapes, buffalo roaming on the east side, flocks of birds, and an interesting ranch and buildings to wander through. Miles-wide beaches held human and buffalo tracks crossing each other, and I really had the island entirely to myself in most places. Now, I will make a point of coming here again.
You can see some of my photos here:

2 Likes

A desert island on a receding lake.

1 Like