Any movies you liked that you watched while travelling?

Any movies you ended up liking that wasn’t on your radar to watch but it was free on a flight or any other mode of transportation?

Travelling yesterday from the East to the West Coast meant I read a couple of books and watched a couple of movies. One of the movies was a documentary on athletes called “In Search of Greatness” and I liked it, although I also would have wanted them to discuss the role of genetics in athletic giftedness.

What’s yours?

Usually when I watch a movie on a flight, I pick something that wouldn’t be my first choice to watch in theaters.

As a result, I don’t remember much of what I watched during a flight. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is also my strategy. I think the most memorable in-flight film I watched that I did not expect to like was Stardust. Henry Cavill has a bit part pre-Superman and has a blonde wig.

4 Likes

Hahaha, ikr? I don’t think I’ve ever dozed off while watching something but I’ve had some unmemorable movies, too.

It’s a good way to watch something for free.

Of course, I had to look for this after your comment, hahaha!

stardust

3 Likes

haha! Thank you for this. It’s…it’s something.

3 Likes

After some noggin’ rackin’, I finally remember the movie that almost made me cry during a flight.
It was The Iron Giant. I have watched it before as a kid, but I didn’t remember much of the details, so when I saw that it was available on my flight to Reykjavik, I decided to watch it again.

That was also when I found out that Vin Diesel voiced the Giant.

4 Likes

I usually end up mindlessly watching things on other people’s screens rather than my own. So I rarely know what the movies are and I miss all of the dialog, but I recognized that one of the Fast & Furious movies was more entertaining to watch than I expected.

I watched Deepwater Horizon on a train once, and that was memorable.

There was some quirky library movie on another time that I wouldn’t have minded getting a name for. I would rewatch it with sound.

The best movies I’ve watched on a plane were the Lord of the Rings trilogy while flying home from New Zealand. :sunglasses: Made parting with the country a little easier.

2 Likes

Andromeda Strain, while on a flight between New York City and Shannon, Ireland, Winter of 1971!

2 Likes

Wow! Definitely memorable for you.

I am also one of those who watches other people’s screens, or my own screen on mute because I will fall asleep.

But at the beginning of February I was traveling to Hungary and watched The Spy Who Dumped Me (with the sound on!), which surprisingly made me laugh quite a few times.

1 Like

Probably my most gonzo movie experience traveling was watching The Wild Geese with Richard Burton, Roger Moore, Richard Harris and Hardy Kruger in at a small movie house in Belize City. While the casually informal theater and audience brought back pleasant memories of Saturday matinees in Texas as a child, the movie was a far cry from Seventh Voyage of Sinbad or I Was a Teenage Werewolf. Richard Burton played a thinly veiled “Mad Mike” Hoare recruiting a mercenary team to rescue an equally thin veiled Moise Tshombe captured by generic rebels, the Simbas, who seem to be reprising Victor Mature’s 1956 Mau Mau’s in Safari. Hardy Kruger, an abrasively racist Boer farmer, undergoes one of the most rapid social transformations on film by way of engaging in political dialogue while carrying the disabled president on his shoulders. I would have rated it a mediocre action/adventure colonial aplogetic had I even gone to see it in the U.S. Juxtaposed with the ugly realities of the then ongoing conflict in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, I was taken aback by the nearly all black audience’s enthusiastic cheering and applause for the white mercenary swashbucklers. Belize at that time was still having difficulty coming to terms with its recent independence as a British colony. It must have rankled the independent Belizeans having to call upon the British to fend off Guatemala and Mexico that both claimed Belize as their territory. Still that reaction was far preferable than having them focus all their repressed resentments upon the only two palefaces in the house. LOL!

1 Like

I’m a frequent traveler to/from Bangkok, Thailand to my home in Virginia USA. During the longest flight (usually Doha, Qatar or Abu Dhabi, UAE to/from NYC, Philadelphia, or Miami) I always watch Finding Dory, It Happened One Night, Saturday Night Fever, A Raisin In The Sun, and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. A strange combo, but those five films seem to be a staple with whatever airline I’m traveling with at the time. They’re also five of my favorite movies of all time.

2 Likes

I recently had a flight back to Germany from Malaysia, during which I was pleasantly surprised that they had the Oscar-winning documentary ‘Free Solo’. As a rock climbing fan, who hasn’t been able to watch the movie before, this was a treat!

On a slightly unrelated note, it is a bit of a shame that another great rock climbing documentary that came out around the same time was overshadowed by the immense success of ‘Free Solo’ and that was ‘The Dawn Wall’. I don’t know if it was the uncomfortable situation of being on a plane and watching it on a small screen, but I enjoyed ‘The Dawn Wall’ a bit more than the Oscar winner.

2 Likes

I’ve found out that I tend to watch documentaries and indie films when I’m on a flight - I rarely watch movies on the ground anyway, unless someone else wants me to accompany them.

Thanks for the rec about these films!

I tend to watch documentaries and indie films as well. Same goes for comedies. Flying - especially long flights - is already quite taxing on the body, so when I want to watch a movie, I don’t really feel like watching a bombastic blockbuster. Something more like ‘Blue Jasmine’, a movie I also enjoyed on a long flight.
Although, once I watched an Avengers movie on a plane, for reasons unknown.
Probably the best movie I watched on a plane was ‘Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid’. I haven’t seen the movie before, despite it’s classic status, but man, what a great movie!

3 Likes

I long thought of watching movies originating from the destination I am visiting, but it was only in a trip to Hong Kong earlier this year that I actually did that. I know that Hong Kong used to have a very active film industry, but I was only familiar with the auteur Wong Kar Wai (and have watched only three of his films). I downloaded some on Netflix and ended up liking two - one was the film The Departed was based on, Infernal Affairs (which was great despite the corny title) and City on Fire - interesting to see how Hong Kong was in the 80s. I think movies can give us a good idea of a place, its people and its values even though they are not always accurate portrayals.

3 Likes

I watched bits and pieces of Egyptian made films at various restaurants in Cairo. They were not in English but gave the impression of extended soap opera episodes. Admittedly they were not the best representatives of Egyptian film making but presently I have yet to cultivate an appreciation of Egyptian films.

2 Likes