AO and Airbnb

Becomes not very obscure atlas - shame really

2 Likes

Hey @iantoman66 I hear you! I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about our mission of sharing a sense of wonder in the world.

Over the 10 years (which is crazy!) I’ve been doing this something I’ve come to see that there’s almost no end to the small wonders, the local art projects, the small collections, incredible historical locations to be discovered and celebrated. The world is filled with passionate people and places that deserve love and support! Often they don’t get it. Meanwhile, other places are being overwhelmed by tourists.

So I think Atlas Obscura has a unique and important job to do. We can help move people away from the long lines and the overcrowded places and spread them out to all these smaller wonderful locations struggling to grow! It can help the traveler to truly experience a place, and it can help the location thrive and continue to exist. The more people, via Airbnb or any other way, that we can help discover these local small wonders the more we can support these wonderful places. That’s my ultimate goal.

I don’t know if that quite answers you, but I hope it helps! - Dylan, Co-Founder of Atlas Obscura.

1 Like

Wow that kind of proves my point given the pro forma response. Admittedly I only wrote a few words but that really doesn’t do anything but confirm. Anyway good luck with your takeover.

1 Like

I was recently on an AO tour and the (wonderful) tour guides went at some length about how AirBnB was pushing residents from the more interesting areas of the city and destroying working class neighborhoods. They are not the only people who have this attitude. I have heard it often. There seems to be so much animosity to AirBnB destroying the texture of urban life that it seems odd that AO would embrace this as it destroys what AO is supposed to be saving. Too bad.

4 Likes

Indeed and then the corporate pre written response to any questioning of it. Too bad indeed.

1 Like

So… that is my actual response, as a human being who is actually attempting to respond to your concern, not some pro-forma thing. But I get the sense your mind is already made up.

2 Likes

Wow so as a human it’s about my concern yet no mention of the corporate decision to make money ? No worries with that but be honest and save the passive aggressive response

1 Like

So I’m not happy with what seemed to me a corporate response to you selling out but it’s me not being sensitive enough to your non pro forma response

As said be honest about the real reason for air BnB taking over Dylan and not about reaching an wider audience etc. People will understand. They also see through the corporate response. You take care Dylan as yes I’ve made up my mind that you want to feed us bullshit.

1 Like

It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Airbnb’s give the opportunity to stay in unique places you otherwise could not find accommodation in. My wife and I stayed in a tiny village called Crossar in Wales, nestled in the mountains and valleys of Snowdonia, it was exquisite, unique and we could not have had this opportunity otherwise. We have used them in London, Scotland, Cornwall UK, and many different locations in Canada. It gives you a different sense then staying in a commercial Hotel, which often displaces the local population by buying up prime real estate ( one of the points of contention here) or a Bed and Breakfast which are really Airbnb’s with the owners ( or even paid locals) on location giving you a morning meal. So I guess my point is that given the choices AO teaming up with Airbnb make sense . You can’t cater to everyone’s taste or sensibility’s and I hardly think it is a a global hegemony scheme on the part of AO.

2 Likes

You are the one whose animosity is palpable and has been from the first. Find a mirror, sir, that’s where to begin.

2 Likes

Yes happy for them but then tell the whole truth bit just the airbrush. My animosity is about not being told the truth. Mirror up and I’m happy . Hope the same is for you.

1 Like

Very disappointed to read of this “partnership” with a company that is destroying the integrity of stable long term rentals in cities desperate for housing. Airbnb is a cancer in the urban infrastructure and contributes to escalating rents for the middle class. As your purpose is to expose us to authentic travel experiences you have signed up with the very devil that is sucking the vitality out of European city neighbourhoods and attacking the stability of the North American rental market! Shame…you betray your very ethic!!

3 Likes

Yes indeed and kannem Seems I’m not the only one who dares express another opinion that doesn’t suit your rhetoric ’ sir’

Just be really careful who you recommend with Airbnb. I’ve had 2 unpleasant expensive disappointments using them. I luv boutique hotels, or Small Luxury Hotels of the World. They would compliment your unique offers perfectly. Just saying.

1 Like

As a person of color, I refuse to patron any business that ‘hires’ racists. Obviously AO hasn’t paid attention to the many vile racists incidents at the hands of airbnb hosts. Now that AO is in bed with airbnb, it speaks volumes as to where AO really stands and what it’s beliefs truly are.

Dear AO :Dble check accounts on AirBnB & remedy or its could Cost AO big time, remedy, read mixed messages above, No Uniform Hooray or Nays seen, most appear Nay.
Can cost IF bad reviews etc

Similar experiences here - sometimes the AirBnBs let you go somewhere you wouldn’t otherwise - I had the BEST experience in Athens a couple years ago with a similar booking (different service, but it’s the same idea) - I was immediately drawn into the community and the life of the town, so much better than a tourist hotel. I’ve been able to stay in parts of town you’d never see otherwise. And I’ve had some kinda bad experiences where it’s clear that you’ve just got someone greedy with a high-end apartment somewhere. I’ve had one AirBnB that I left because it was WAAAY sketchy.

1 Like