Athens and Hydra - Greece Recommendations

food
drink
mediterranean

I’m doing a short trip to Greece in early July. A couple days in Athens and a couple days on the island of Hydra. It’s not much time, but if you have any suggestions I’d be super thankful.

I’m interested in classic Greek food spots or your favorite can’t-miss sites (like the Acropolis?).

Any specific neighborhoods that we should focus on?

The Epidaurus amphitheater looks incredible. Worth it?

1 Like

Enjoy the donkeys on Hydra. No cars but people use donkeys and mules for loads. Though if you get a room near the paddock, keep windows shut. The braying was noisy at night but lovely to see them during the day. Do try and do a day trip out of Athens - the hills around Penteli have nice hikes. And there is Davelis Cave. The Penteli Cave Enigma – A Place of Unexplained Phenomena Since Ancient Times | Ancient Origins
Penteli Waterfall | Greece by a Greek The area is where the marble from the Acropolis comes from and the original quarry still there - its pure white shing marble. Do recommend Acropolis though and Delphi. We went out of season though so quieter. If anyone offers you marinated squid in vinegar and wine, try it.

2 Likes

Had a fantastic day with CulinaryBackroads in Athens. Six hours on foot with a great guide stopping in multiple off-the-beaten path delicious food places. Highly recommend this!

3 Likes

Thanks for this! Any specific food places you remember that you’d recommend?

No, sorry. It was two years ago and I didn’t list the individual stops. Good luck and have a great trip.

While in Athens, spend some time in the Plaka area. Pedestrian, so less crowded, Great eating & shopping (much less$ than islands). Would go back! Next time plan to take funicular to top of hill overlooking Athens. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Lycabettus Hill

1 Like