"Australian Pygmy-Possums Are Starving Because Billions of Bogong Moths Are Missing" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Australian Pygmy-Possums Are Starving Because Billions of Bogong Moths Are Missing! Share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below!

This is the result of Man using harmful pesticides and perturbing the ecological balance. The human animal is inherently ignorant and suicidal, because pretty soon the once blue planet will look like the Moon…

Having grown up in a rural area light pollution irks me. A 15 minute drive from my house put me in a field near a friend’s house at the top of a ridge outside of Youngstown Pa. where we could lay down and watch satellites (no, not planes at cruising altitude) on a clear night.

They’re not easy to see. They’re just a speck of constantly and slowly moving light that aren’t much brighter than most stars. The slow motion is the tell.

2 Likes

Very sad article indeed. But as with all conservation related stories , I’m very gladdened to hear that there are a team of dedicated people out there attempting to conserve the possumns their moth prey and this finely tuned ecological relationship.

There is actually a really interesting book on light pollution and its impact on biodiversity. I read it when I went through a stage of doing quite a bit of field work on European bats in the UK , its a bit academic and dry in parts but some of the chapters are really quite interesting.

2 Likes

Agreed. Much as we’d like to pretend otherwise, we all know the world is going to hell and humanity is probably doomed within several generations if not sooner. We need to keep fighting to slow the trend, but should no longer delude ourselves that it’s not too late. Grab yourself a bit of love and wait for Armageddon.

“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” - Adm. Chester W. Nimitz