Best exploration / adventure songs

Of late this has been on my play list in memory of the late and great firestarter , love the prodigy, the lyrics, and I remember as a kid when the video was banned. Looking at the video now it almost seems quaint and Victorian that it was banned. How times change… Plus the tunnel looks kind of like it should be in the Atlas

2 Likes

Canned Heat - On the Road Again

2 Likes

Follow Me by John Denver

2 Likes

Depending on where you’re going, some of the songs feel more like a night drive, some more fit for city versus rural, darker vs positive, upbeat vs laidback, lots of different vibes but all songs I enjoy (And lots of different languages!)
Right Place, Wrong Time- Dr. John
Svefn-g-englar- Sigur Ros
Roundabout- Yes
Miarches- Forest Swords
Run Overdrive- Civil Civic
A Minha Menina- Os Mutantes
Fly Like An Eagle- Steve Miller Band
Cler Achel- Tinariwen
Ampersand- Kithkin
волны- Molchat Doma
Sam Gellaitry’s Escapism EPs

3 Likes

I love Os Mutantes !

♪ Ela é minha menina
E eu sou o menino dela
Ela é o meu amor
E eu sou o amor todinho dela ♪

3 Likes

I thought I’d revisit this topic since it’s been a while. Thank you all for such great recommendations and suggestions - they have spawned a great many playlists for a great many long drives.

I was recently got turned on to the album “Strange Trails” by Lord Huron and thought I’d give it a mention here. As near as I can tell, it has become my ideal exploration album. At least for the time being.

3 Likes

Listening to Lord Huron now, and loving it.

2 Likes

@EricGrundhauser Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

2 Likes

Reminds me of Strand of Oaks! You should give his album, HEAL, a listen. It’s great.

I thought I’d throw my own YouTube playlist, aptly titled ‘Adventure Music’, into the mix. I’m also one of those who travel to the sound of videogame and movie OSTs, so I hope you are ready for a lot of Uncharted songs (probably half of the playlist is comprised of Naughty Dogs’ great franchise).
Other videogames and movies in this playlist are, for example, Lawrence of Arabia, The Last Samurai, Indiana Jones, Stardust, Final Fantasy, Onimusha, Medal of Honor, and The Elder Scrolls.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely not this!

Never ends

2 Likes

Oh no. Not this. Anything but this.

1 Like

I haven’t thought about this song for years. Thank you!

1 Like

LOVE video game music for exploring tunes!

1 Like

Jeff Buckley-so much nostalgia in his work. :broken_heart:

1 Like

… I will not be able to get this song out of my head today.
This is the song that never-- damn it!

2 Likes

Anything but that? How about this?

SX425
Image is a link, click on it

3 Likes

It just goes on and on, my friend…

1 Like

I guess, I just have to listen to more Uncharted songs then… :slight_smile:

What I also just remembered was the one time I was listening to the entire concert of ‘Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Studio Ghibli 25 years’, while on a trek in the Langtang Valley in Nepal.

Usually, I prefer to “be aware of my environment” as thomasharper wrote a while back, especially while in the Himalayan mountains, but it was a cold, miserable, and foggy day through dense jungle, and there wasn’t that much to see. So, in order to distract myself a bit and get my heart all warm and fuzzy, I listened to the concert… and once I was done I followed it up with the entirety of the Lord of the Rings symphony.

ps. If your favorite Ghibli movie is ‘Princess Mononoke’ then we can be best friends.

3 Likes

Studio Ghibli! LOTR! :heart_eyes:

Alas, my favourite is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, which I watched as a wee bairn and it started my love for Hayao Miyazaki, which, appropriately enough, was also the genesis of Ghibli. A close second is Spirited Away.

1 Like