Best Upstate NY Winter Travel

Anything highly recommended to explore in Upstate NY, South Vermont or MA this coming President’s Day Weekend or during winter in general? Looking for any interesting cultural or outdoor experiences for adults, thanks!

0 Likes

I’m a little late on this, but I have a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Rochester is absolutely delightful for a weekend - visit the Strong Museum of Play, the awesome downtown area delicious cocktail or absinthe bars, and the abandoned train tunnel as well.

I’ve also been meaning to do a Cooperstown, NY weekend trip to see the baseball museum and visit Ommegang brewery if those are your speed.

There could also be great places to explore around the Hancock Shaker Village in MA, which also has a lot of Shaker history to explore.

Finally, this is something for next year, but the Montshire Museum of Science does an igloo build every February. It’s already happened this year, but mark your calendar for next year!

4 Likes

As a Western MA native, I like to go cross country skiing in the Berkshires when I visit the home region. If you want to make a weekend trip of it, consider adding a visit to MASS MoCA and the Clark Institute.

Even if you are not familiar with downhill skiing, cross country is usually something you can pick up in a day and have a lot of fun with. Prospect Mountain is just over the border in VT and has a ton of trails.

2 Likes