Boadicea and Her Daughters

ao-places
places
places-in-united-kingdom
places-in-england

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Boadicea and Her Daughters in Greater London, England. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/boadicea-and-her-daughters?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

1 Like

Does anyone have any recommendations for books about Boadicea? I’ve become so intrigued by her and her story since reading this place entry, and would love to learn more!

2 Likes

Hi Kerry,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the entry.

Sorry to say that I can’t give you any reccomendations in regards to books specifically on Boadicea as I used lots of internet sources for background information in writing the entry.

Looking online there are lots of historical fiction books , but very thin on the ground in terms of non fiction. There is a book that has mixed reviews it was apparently referenced by the Anglo Saxon scholar Michael Wood in one of his books and he is a pretty good historian so it might be of interest.

On the Ancient Britons and Celts generally , there is one book I have read on them that I would really reccomend , but it deals more with the history of the Celts on a continental level rather than just focused on the UK.

The other place to find out about Boadiccea is directly from the Roman sources and Tacitus in particular , although history is written by the victors in this case literally, he speaks of the rebellion in this book

Hope that helps !

3 Likes

This is fantastic information, thank you so much! And thanks for submitting the place entry in the first place—it was truly a pleasure to read!

1 Like

No problem Kerry , glad it helped :slight_smile: Thank you for your enthusiasm.

1 Like

My professor, Caitlin Gillespie, actually just published this amazing book on her, and I found it very well-researched (and this book series in general is fantastic):

As stated in it, the statue of Boadicea is also facing the Palace of Westminster, so I think instead of saying she’s guarding the bridge, she is actually in a constant act of attacking the empire (now British). I think that’s much more fitting for her spirit, rather than guarding her oppressors! That woman was FIERCE!

4 Likes

Excellent comment Patricia , I will probably check out that book at some point and will definitely have a look at your professors papers.

Definitely agree about the attacking the empire thing (Although , I know she has been misused by the British establishment as a figure for some reactionary and Xenophobic nationalist sentiment ) and she was indeed a ferocious warrior.

Not a book, but I enjoyed the Boudica episodes of the British History Podcast. Will definitely be checking out the books recommended here!

2 Likes

A note about the art history of the sculpture: It’s a smaller 2-horse version of what is more commonly depicted with four horses, called a “quadriga” which was a Roman racing chariot that was led by four horses. The original version of this was the Horses of St. Mark from St. Mark’s Cathedral in Venice.

Later versions of the sculpture included a female driving the chariot, carrying a spear and representing Victory. Other examples include the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin:

Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel in Paris:

And even atop the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Arch at Grand Army Plaza here in Brooklyn!

4 Likes

Brilliant post , thank you for the comment Phillip ! I wasnt aware of this