Books that you are currently (or were) reading?

books-reading

I’ll definitely check those out, especially the short stories. It was the fact that Ken Liu translated the initial book in the trilogy that caught my eye in the first place. His short fiction is excellent.

2 Likes

I just read your article on Phillip K **** , its brilliant but I was pretty sad to learn that there is a dispute between his widow and children.

I dont know very much about it other than what I just read , but it strikes me that it seems to be a curse of writers that when they pass away there is inevitable fighting over their estates.

A similar thing happened with Stieg Larsson and also kind of in a roundabout way with Tolkien, its a damn shame.

1 Like

Yeah. Legacies are never easy.

1 Like

I’m reading Neil Gaiman’s “American Gods” and BOY HOWDY is it full of Atlas worthy locations!

4 Likes

Keep reading…

2 Likes

Currently reading this book , Its fascinating in a dark way

1 Like

Yep! I’ve been there, actually, and also to Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright’s magnificent home & estate nearby. The latter is elegant, the former is extraaaaavagant!

1 Like

My appetite for books is voracious and in winter read a book a day on average (-30 to -40C, snow and cold six consecutive months).

My genres of choice include NF ancient history, middle ages history, culinary and travel. I enjoy English Classics such as Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens. Love Golden and Silver age mysteries…wondrous depth and beautiful prose. And P. G. Wodehouse is the most outstanding British humour author ever. I vehemently dislike romance or “fluff” novels.

As a wild mushroom forager I am smitten with mushroom identification books.

My library contains over 1,500 books and at any given moment have 10-20 library books signed out. A passion of mine is seeking gems at used book stores.

Books are like friends to me. Oxygen.

2 Likes

I just finished “The Last Romantics” by Tara Conklin. I’d recommend it for anyone who’s into family sagas about love, loss and secrets.

2 Likes

Have you tried the Viking Icelandic sagas ? lots of loss and secrets albeit a little short on the love

Love fungi identification , but I am no good at it for the most part with a notable exception being psilocybe shrooms

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll look the sagas up - thanks for the rec.

1 Like

Just finished Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan. That book is wack.

2 Likes

I haven’t read Brautigan in years, but I remember thinking that A Confederate General from Big Sur had a certain hippie poeticism.

Currently reading this book. Its fascinating.

Finished reading this a little while ago , also a brilliant read.

I’ve read this book and countless ones by the ever prolific and multi-genre Neil Gaiman. I once bought a book someone wrote on him, not realizing I already had the same book at home - the original one was published in the UK and the second one I returned was the US imprint, hahaha.

2 Likes

Because I greatly enjoyed the comic series Mozart in the Jungle, I got the book on which it is based by Blair Tindall and was surprised to find that it was not a comedy. It is instead a serious treatment of the problem of this country’s training up many more people in the arts than there are decent jobs for them. Ms. Tindall is an oboist who lived pretty hand to mouth for two decades freelancing with symphonies and pit orchestras in New York before deciding to get a real education and becoming a journalist. The book is well researched: I had not known that my education as a lit major or hers as a musician was the fruit of the Cold War (if the Russkies have Tchaikovsky and Dostoevsky and we don’t, there is a culture gap!), and this oversupply of talent is an unintended consequence of government money oversupplying schools to fill that gap. But the book is not all expository; it is also a memoir of the author’s life among the high and mighty of the musical world as well as with many struggling freelancers there. It is a great read, and I can recommend it to anyone interested in the arts, history, or the American experience.

1 Like

I’m forever reading Appalachian Mountain Club trail guides. Besides helping me plan hiking trips, they sometimes reveal interesting, obscure, and often forgotten bits of regional history.

Aside from that, I’m reading some of Thich Nhat Hanh’s works, and a book of John Muir’s essays.

1 Like

I just nabbed two books from a used book store.

1. The Electrifying Fall of the Rainbow City - about the Pan-American Exposition in 1901. (some CRAZY stuff happened there and the book is fascinating). Similar to my favorite book of all time, Devil in the White City.

2. I haven’t started it yet but I also got The Girls of Atomic City, about Oak Ridge, TN.

3 Likes

I’m actually doing research for a creative project and nabbed all of these at a used bookstore.

2 Likes