Boston Cooler

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Boston Cooler. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

One small quibble–I’m from Detroit and we don’t call it “soda”. It’s pop. Vernors on the other hand is just Vernors.

Hi! Thanks for your note. That’s a fair point about calling it “pop” in Detroit. We just included a note about that in the piece.

2 Likes

Don’t recall ever seeing this in my 2 years in Detroit. Growing up in Pittsburgh however, a Boston Cooler was a slice of cantaloupe served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

When it’s in season around the holidays, try a boston cooler made with eggnog ice cream! (I get it from a local brand in Ohio, but some national grocery store brands make it as well.)
At family Christmas gatherings when I was a kid, the adults would have their boozy eggnog drinks, and we would have ours mixed with Vernors. The ice cream version is even better!

1 Like