Boudhanath Stupa

Welcome to the official discussion about Boudhanath Stupa in Kathmandu, Nepal. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/boudhanath-stupa?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

I was just here a couple months ago, after almost 20 years from the last visit. It is still as magical - even after the earthquake. It was fully repaired and the community that visits everyday is vibrant. I offer a suggestion that if you can stay near the stupa you will have a chance to soak in the energy and devotion that exists there. One of my favorite places.

1 Like

I was there in 2010 and loved it so much I returned in 2013. It was one of the most fascinating, mystical and magical places I’ve ever been. All of Katmandu was, especially Durbar Square.

1 Like

I visited Great Stupa in October of 2015 prior to heading to Lukla in the Khumbu. It was before repairs got underway, but still a very powerful place to visit. I am glad to see that it has been restored. It was sad to see so much destruction wrought on ancient sites that are so important to the people of Nepal and the many Tibetans living there now.

1 Like

Nepal is one of my favorite country in the world. I visited Nepal serval times and Boudhanath Stupa is one of the best place to Nepal according to me. The beauty of this place always inspire me. Here you can find all of my travel adventures.