Brazil travel in December - Rain

Is December a good time to go to Brazil for the first time - in terms of rain?

Brazil’s only slightly smaller than the U.S. lots of climates, lots of variation. What areas are you interested in visiting?

I find that when doing serious trip planning, Wunderground’s historical data is the best online tool. Here is the full month of weather data for Sao Paolo, for December 2018. In that particular city, December last year was dry and lovely!

If I were you, I’d look at the last 5 years or so and assume you’ll be dealing with an average.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/br/são-paulo/SBSP/date/2018-12

1 Like

Where in Brazil? It is a huge country with many climate zones. Keep in mind that it will be very hot in Brazil in December…it is the middle of their summer. I have been to Iguassu and to Rio and all over Sao Paulo state in August (their winter) and had both heat and rain, but not as much as in December.

Iguazu, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador da Bahia and The Amazon Rainforest. I am particularly interested in knowing if December will be good to travel to Rio in terms of enjoying the beaches.
Also - If you can recommend some unexplored / non - touristy places to visit that would be great. Thank you!

Places interested to go to are Iguazu, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador da Bahia and The Amazon Rainforest. I am particularly interested in knowing if December will be good to travel to Rio in terms of enjoying the beaches.
Also - If you can recommend some unexplored / non - touristy places to visit that would be great. Thank you!

Thank you for that information!

Hey SK1, I’m from Southeast Brazil and I can tell you that December is not the dryest month, but also not the worst. I used to live in Rio, and December is a good time to enjoy the beaches - lots of sunshine! As for the non (that) touristy places, I would recommend: Parque Lage (near the Botanical Gardens), Parque das Ruínas (in Lapa neighborhood), Mirante do Pasmado (one of those lookouts, but not as full as Cristo or Pão de Açucar). Those are all farely safe places. Google them to see if they interest you.
Have a good trip!

2 Likes