Canned Bread

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Canned Bread. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I love this and make it frequently; my recipe is here: Little Compton Mornings: Search results for Brown bread B&M, available at supermarkets, also very good.

4 Likes

Thank you for the recipe!

You’re welcome!

There is a vending machine in Inokashira Park in Japan that sells canned bread (if anyone happens to be in Tokyo and really wants to try canned bread!). Obviously it’s not the same as the New England variety in this article. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have made “canned” brown bread for many years. Most of the recipes I have seen are very similar. I substitute graham flour for the rye as I have family members that aren’t fond of rye anything and have amazing “rye sensors”. I have also used larger canned fruit cans. If you generously butter the inside of the can it’s not’s necessary to remove the bottom. When I take it out of the oven, using mitts, I roll it between my hands until I see the sides pop loose. I let it continue to cool in the can for another 8-10 minutes, roll it again and turn it upside down and shake. It will slide out slowly enough it won’t crumble/break.

Most people I know have warmed brown bread and butter on the side with their hot dogs or fish cakes and beans. I’ll have to try brown bread with hot dogs and beans on top — sounds good.

We always opened each end of the can and pushed the bread out. It’s easy to cut with the can opening as a guide.

Do we worry about lead leaching from the seam in the can if the varnish isn’t in perfect shape, or is that a legacy concern? Possibly modern cans no longer use lead-base solder, but I honestly don’t know.

A timely article. I literally had home-make brown bread and baked beans for supper tonight. Both were graciously provided by a friend who is a classic New England cook, with a healthy creative twist. She and her husband also produce maple syrup. I think there may be a touch of syrup in her brown bread; and definitely in the baked beans. Yum!

Fond memories from childhood. warmed or toasted with butter and cream cheese. After school snack. Have a can in the pantry!!!

Kroger made this and sold it not in cans but in clear cellophane bags, using molds that were slightly larger at the top than at the bottom. It was a favorite of my grandmother in the small Missouri lead mining town in which I grew up. No butter and certainly no cream cheese, something too exotic for the deeply WASP family who was also very frugal after surviving the Depression. But still a favorite of mine even as a picky-eater kid.

As a kid (65 now), my family had this, albeit ‘boughten’, most Saturday nights with beans and franks or fishcakes. We had it toasted and buttered. The raisin version is the way to go. I hadn’t thought about it for a long time, but I’ll be getting a can next trip to the market. I might even take a shot at making my own. (As to beans, I prefer B&M red kidneys to the more usual navy/pea beans)

No. The canned food industry in the United States stopped using lead - soldered cans in 1991. In 1995, the Food and Drug Administration issued a final rule prohibiting the use of lead solder in all food cans , including imported products.- from Ask USDA