Catacombes de Paris

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Catacombes de Paris in Paris, France. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/catacombes-de-paris?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

When I went to Paris, what I wanted to see the most was the catacombs! The tunnels themselves were super cool, but I waited in line for four hours, barely moving, for a twenty minute walk through the tunnels. At one point we were shooed away from a tour group who said they were going to a really cool part of the tunnels that aren’t normally seen by the public. Definitely book a tour ahead with pre-purchased tickets if you want a pleasant experience from this.
Also, if you don’t book a tour, the tunnels end in a random street in Paris without any indication of how to get back to where you started or the closest metro stop. It could be useful to figure out where the tunnels let out before you go.

3 Likes

Agreed it’s very much worth a visit, but also that planning ahead to avoid the crowds is a must!

1 Like

Keep meaning to go but always put off by the queues. Even got there before it opened one time but I would’ve missed my flight had I waited.

In Paris just now and won’t get time this trip either :worried:

1 Like

I missed them when I was in Paris a few years ago as they were closed. I was pretty disappointed.

1 Like

I have been going to Paris at least twice a year for the past 20 years and always failed to visit the Catacombs because of the long queue you are going to do. So good tip about pre booking the visit with a group.

1 Like

The catacombs of Paris are a must see. It is truly amazing the number of skeletons in these underground tunnels that were carved out as they city grew and mined the limestone used to build the buildings. As Paris grew into its a role as a major European hub, it eventually ran into a major problem: by the 17th century, enough people had lived and died (many from the plague) in Paris that its cemeteries were overflowing, overstuffed with graves to the point when corpses, at times became uncovered. And so the solution arose to place them in the centuries-old tunnels that had existed beneath the streets of Paris since the 13th century, remnants of a time when limestone quarries were mined to build Paris into a thriving city. By the time these burials ended, 6 million Parisians’ bones came to their final resting place in the catacombs. The bones are neatly packed by year and area.

Please book ahead and there is no wait. We enjoyed this but had a weird feeling with people taking smiley selfies in front of the skulls and bones. How do you all feel about this. I thought it disrespectful but of course to each his own.

You only need to do this once.