Caty gets Converted in Amsterdam!

I must confess that I don’t know much about art, nor do I really care to visit museums. More often than not, they’re antiquated, elitist institutions reserved for older generations and privileged millennials who have indebted themselves to a degree that’s redundant in the real world. BUT. And it’s a big but, Moco Museum was the exception.

For starters, the staff is friendly. They welcomed us, and it felt like a homecoming, which was appropriate considering the museum’s bones are an old residential building from the turn of the century. We were advised to start at the top and work our way down. On the top floor, they had my personal favorite of the visit; a dedicated room to three exemplary works by French Contemporary artist and photographer - JR. His black and white works were hypnotic and poignant, namely his Emmy-Nominated multimedia project with Time Magazine - Guns in America.
*A side note, the room had a bird’s eye view over Museumplein and that felt pretty special.

On our descent, we became further acquainted with the Moco Masters and Worldwide Headliners (Warhol, Basquiat, & Haring). The Kusama Room was a popular spot (pun intended) in the museum, as it was an immersive room created by an optical illusion. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids meets contemporary art - what more can you ask for?

The two big exhibitions on display when we visited Moco Museum were Banksy “Unauthorized” and “Connecting Time” by Daniel Arsham. It might come as a shock, but I didn’t know much about either of them. haha. I’m not sure if it’s how the art was presented or the supplemental pieces of information, but it was the first time that I felt art was approachable and in fact, inviting. My favorite pieces were the ‘Corrupted Oil’ works by Banksy, in which he takes found paintings of arcadian life, and inserts an ‘in your face, out of place’ signature. Plot twist! Our visit to Amsterdam was all the better after visiting Moco and their garden filled with equally impressive sculpture works was the cherry on top.

Although some might argue that I’m a bit of a grump and a cynic when it comes to high-brow culture, Moco Museum has broadened my perspective. And dare I say, changed me? Thank you for making me a believer, Moco. “In art WE trust”.