Central New Jersey LIVES

places-in-new-jersey

I’m a proud resident of Central New Jersey — defined by its colleges (in addition to Princeton and Rutgers, there’s Rider, Westminster Choir College, The College of New Jersey) its mix of many small towns and some small cities, its farms and orchards, its connection to Bucks County PA through linked artistic cities (Lambertville and New Hope), and its fundamental role in the American Revolution (Battles of Trenton and Princeton, time as nation’s capital) and strong Colonial influences still visible in its buildings. AND we have the largest Indian/Indian-American population outside of…India! The colleges and companies bring us temporary and permanent residents from all over the world.

We don’t have clear borders but to say there is only North and South Jersey is like saying there’s only black and white.

And…is “The Shore” North or South? And those who live in the Pine Barrens may be unlike those in Camden and those who identify with the Ramapaugh may have little in common with those who shop at Mitsuwa… Despite our proximities to major cities, there are many distinct cultural influences in NJ if you go deeper and meet many more people.

Atlas Obscura celebrates the uniqueness of places — please don’t eliminate the character of central NJ; it’s a mix of factors but it’s ours.

What is Bergen County? I think it’s Central New Jersey. Long before it was a “bedroom community” to NYC, it was a distinct part of NJ that played an important role in the Revolution – check out Bergen County Historical Society for more. My ancestors were Dutch farmers who settled the area in the 1600s.

Bergen County is generally thought of as North Jersey, I think. But North Jersey also incorporates more obscure wonders like the wolf preserve and the Franklin Mineral Museum (that area is especially rich in minerals that glow under blacklight or ultraviolet–or is it infrared–light). And the Delaware Water Gap.

Much like the movement One Painting-One Hour, in which people look at ONE painting for an hour…if you examine some things closely enough, you find a richness of detail that defies the default description.