Chichen Itza Chirp

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Chichen Itza Chirp in Tinum, Mexico. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I visited here and was able to hear the Chichen Itza chirp!!! It was such a surreal experience because our entire tour group (30+ people) clapped at the same time and the sound was so prominent! Doing this really helped enhance the mysticism of the ruins! Chichen Itza itself feels so magical-- it was absolutely incredible to see such a monumental, historic site this well preserved. This will be an experience I will always remember!! I highly recommend taking the tour and clapping!

P.s. I am an ecologist, so reading about the endangered Quetzal, makes this even more meaningful to me.

1 Like

Wow this is great and thanks for sharing. I could only imagine how great that was to experience.

1 Like

Of course! I wanted to confirm this wonder is real and urge people to visit/learn more about Mayan culture! It’s fascinating. Thanks for posting about it on Atlas Obscura :heart:

1 Like

I have encountered some version of the “chirp” in nearly all of Mexico’s large-scale archaeological sites I’ve been to.

From Monte Albán to Palenque, Tula and Xochicalco. I reckon Chichén’s and Teotihuacán’s are the clearest-sounding ones, though. It does make me think how likely is the intentionality in all of them, and how many cases might be coincidence or self-suggestion.