Chop Suey Sandwich

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Chop Suey Sandwich. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this in today’s email!!! I grew up coming here with family from the area. My father and grandfather and his sibling all went to “the willows” for food, ice cream and games. The arcade has a lot of new and old (very old) games, they have a place called Hobbs popcorn that is seriously the best on the planet, there is saltwater taffy made on a machine that’s got to be over a century old and tastes the same as it always did.
There’s ice cream, and other treats and of course the chop Suey sandwich! From the same place there is also the “tender steak” which is bits of tender (alleged) beef in a brown gravy on a hamburger bun. Oh it’s a messy delight for sure. As far as the willows you either “get it” or you don’t. It’s local yokel it’s rinky dink, it’s old timey, it’s beautiful and loved by many. Don’t go expecting six flags because it ain’t. There is an old carousel and rides that are 70+ years old and still operate. The grounds are beautiful and it’s very affordable. Thank you for sharing this!!

2 Likes

I recall spotting the elusive Chop Suey Sandwich on a sign in an old image of Nathan’s on Coney Island. I was so intrigued I wrote the company, which responded that while it was still on the menu there, sadly, they had no plans to roll out their Chop Suey Sandwich nationwide.

It’s this kind of obstructionist thinking that holds back both Nathan’s and Coney Island from returning to its former greatness.

2 Likes

I grew up near Salem Willows and 50 years ago I ate countless chop suey sandwiches. Messy to be sure, but affordable and tasty.

2 Likes

When I was about 13 or so, I ate Chop Suey sandwiches at Woolworth on 59th street off Third Avenue. (Bloomingdale’s was across the street ) Oh by the way the cost was .20

2 Likes