Civita di Bagnoregio

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Civita di Bagnoregio in Civita, Italy. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

I just took a sketching workshop in Civita, and it was fabulous! However, the tiny town is so overrun with tourists during the day, it is hard to really appreciate the preserved beauty of its natural community and architecture.

I just spent a week staying in the town myself, in late November, and the crowds had died down quite a bit by then. I’d highly recommend visiting Civita in off-season, and not the warmer months. I’ve seen photos of the footbridge during the summer and it’s overrun. But by late fall/winter, it’s calmed down considerably. Definitely still some tour groups coming during the day, but much less crowded. Another option is to visit early in the morning or later in the evening. The peak times seem to be the middle of the day.

1 Like

I spent a lovely day there, in early November, delicious bruschetta cooked in the fireplace. Lovely church, long ago white washed plaster, earthquake shook plaster off one section of the wall and VOILA. Madonna! Now know as Madonna of the Earthquake. St. Bonaventure resided there, and Orvieto, the town (below Civitia) has a large statue regaling him. A few B&Bs, lovely climbing vines fall col0red old stone arches, geraniums in pots everywhere. Few tourists that time of year.

This was from our trip last August 2019. Here I am with my daughter-in-law. I lost that hat on the way back right before a freak windstorm and downpour caught us on the bridge. Yes, it’s touristy (us) but we love getting off the beaten path and exploring things most travelers would pass on. It is a good hoof up that walkway. My husband stayed behind drinking wine and chatting with locals in the town.