Clear Toy Candy

ao-foods
foods
foods-of-pennsylvania

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Clear Toy Candy. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/clear-toy-candy?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

As a child growing up with a German heritage in Philly we always were treated to barley sugar toys at Christmas or as we called it weinachtszeit. There was also a variety of these that had a lollipop stick.

My tanta Emilie would give each of us children 2 or 3 of these fantastic little gems. We would play with them and over several days suck these candies into sweet oblivion. They have a unique taste all tasting the same. No matter what the color it was a barley taste and no no green lime of red cherry flavors.

I can’t wait to get a bag of these sweet memories.
Does anyone have an original barley sugar recipe? And where do you find the barley sugar?

I don’t know about barley sugar, but barley water was used to keep the candy very clear.

1 Like