Coffee Cabinet

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Coffee Cabinet. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

To make a point of distinction, a cabinet is made with ice cream; an Awful Awful (awful big, awful good!), sold only at the Newport Creameries, is made with ice milk. It is not a true cabinet, but a separate beast altogether.

1 Like

Thanks so much for letting us know! I took the Newport Creamery off as a location to try the cabinet.

1 Like

What exactly is ice milk? Is it like a slushy, but with milk instead of water?

1 Like

Whoops! I believe I was unclear.
You can still get a cabinet at the Newport Creamery; my point of clarification is that the AwfulAwful is not a cabinet, but a separate category of frozen dairy drink, due to its use of ice milk, rather than ice cream. If you order a cabinet by name at the creamery, that is what you will get.

1 Like

Ice milk is frozen dairy, like ice cream, but with the butterfat content of whole milk, rather than cream. It’s not very good on its own, but makes an excellent shake.

1 Like