Coffee Gelatin

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Coffee Gelatin. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

Gimme recipe… I always got coffee left over.

1 Like

This is old school goodness. We used to have this every year on the Fourth of July.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Durgin-Park closed early this year: Iconic Boston restaurant Durgin-Park closes doors in Faneuil Hall | Boston 25 News

1 Like

I have made this.
one packet Knox gelatin.
one cup of cold coffee.
Sprinkle the gelatin on the coffee and let it soften.
One cup of hot coffee.
one tablespoon of white sugar (or to taste)
Stir sugar into hot coffee until it dissolves.
Mix hot and cold coffee.
Chill until it gels.
Serve with sweetened whipped cream.

I did this in glass bowls, but I think next time I will make it in a pan and serve it cut into cubes.
It would also be good with condensed milk- Vietnamese coffee jelly!
You could sprinkle the dessert with cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles, cinnamon or hundreds and thousands.
Not popular with small children.

3 Likes

Vice wrote an article about coffee jelly’s history and where to find the treat now that Durgin-Park has closed.

It sounds like the remaining options in or around Boston are more likely to be vegan-friendly. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a simple recipe for those of us far from Boston:

I love coffee jelly and hate to see it disappear from menus. Hope it makes a comeback soon!

I had no idea this was so rare in the States. Growing up in Mexico, this was a commonplace dessert in Japanese restaurants under the name of “camelado”. It still is quite common, along with fried ice cream.

Funny how diaspora foods work, I never knew fried ice cream could be considered a “Mexican” thing until I saw it in the U.S. I only ever knew it in the “tempura” version of Japanese-Mexican restaurants. Certainly never saw the version coated with the churro-like batter or crispy tortilla crumbs. The kicker? Fried ice cream was almost certainly invented in the U.S.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recipe!