Collard Sandwich

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Collard Sandwich. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Like many, I was thrown off at the notion of hearing my beloved southern vegetable, Collard Greens, were turned into some sandwich. The idea was immediately undesirable - I mean, Collard Greens should be on a plate with rice and savory stew beef gravy, baked macaroni and cheese, a nice tender fried pork chop, crispy fatback and warm yeast rolls ( or bread of your choice)…NOT AS A SANDWICH!

So I thought! At a fall cookout, my friend, (we’ll call CC) offered everyone a collard green sandwich along with the meal. I was handed an aluminum foil wrapped food - took me back to school lunches with my batman plastic lunch box container, but without the anticipation. Anyway, I opened up the package and said, " Really? This is just collard greens , corn bread and bacon put together. I eat this together on my plate anyway. (smh lol. ) But when i went for it and bit into that crazy “idea”, (BOOOM!), I immediately was blown away. I don’t know why, but it was just different and sooooooo goooood. And to make a long story short, I have been on the search for them ever since, including making my own. I recently went to Bladenboro, NC and their Beast Festival where the Hunt Family serves their famous “Original Collard Green Sandwich”. Unfortunately, within an hour of opening, they were sold out! :frowning: But … I was introduced to the COLLARD GREEEN WRAP!!! :scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

A variation of this was a Sunday dinner (lunch) standard for us growing up in very rural South Carolina. The fried corn fritters were not part of the equation. Instead you took a biscuit (homemade of course), sliced it and stuffed it with collards. Bonus points if you had some cured pork to add to the arrangement such as ham, country ham. The ultimate version always happened on News Years day, because then you had slices of smoked, cured, and then fried hog jowls available to add to it. Those were always a fixture of the traditional new years meal along with collards, and black eyed peas.

1 Like