Coyote's Flying Saucer Retrievals and Repairs

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Coyote’s Flying Saucer Retrievals and Repairs in Ocotillo, California. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

01/16/20 - Aw man, we cruised right past this and only slowed down on our way to and from the desert view tower. Had I known he welcomes visitors we absolutely would have stopped.

1 Like

I know the feeling, thirdfuerst. There are so many of these quirky little communities scattered around in California that it would take a special map to visit them all . Some of them I only learned about on Atlas Obscura long after I’d sailed right past them. One place near the desert view tower, relatively speaking is the Pumpkin Patch, that I’ve wanted to visit for years. It’s just east of the Anza-Borrego State Park off Hwy S-22. As the directions say, it will test your skills of navigation. The Pumpkin Patch consists of hundreds of spherical boulders ranging in size from an actual pumpkin to an industrial size wrecking ball. If I recall correctly they are somewhat different than the ones in Jalisco, Mexico, and the ones here along the Red River in Texas up into Oklahoma and all the way to Arkansas where there is a huge field of them exposed by a road cut. The ones in Jalisco are igneous rock while the ones here are sedimentary, a kind of sandstone. These are generally called cannonball concretions for obvious reasons. If you’re ever out that way again, I think it would be well worth the trouble to make your way to the Pumpkin Patch and post your photos here. There are scads of photos of them to be seen but as I found with my photos from Mt. Capulin, the ones you take yourself are just a little bit better.