Craig-E-Clair Castle

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Craig-E-Clair Castle in Roscoe, New York. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The Craig-E-Clair castle is fascinating and beautiful, no doubt about that. And it’s frustrating that the Mason’s haven’t been able to get the town of Roscoe to collaborate on some sort of mixed use for it, though they have pitched the idea of it being a performance venue for summer concerts and craft fairs.

Altas Obscura, I love you much, but am really critical of you suggesting at then end of this article that people can climb the hill to look at the castle. I suggest that if someone is really passionate about seeing the castle that they contact the Masons or ask the very pleasant gentleman that is the caretaker. He’s only cranky with people that break into the property by climbing the hill. Just like any of us would be if someone climbed over the fence to our backyard as opposed to knocking on our front door.

Hey @shawnlewis888, thanks for the thoughtful comment. We definitely do not promote sneaking into places or trespassing, and I thank you for flagging this entry. I’ve changed the verbiage in the place entry to reflect that it is not open for visitors. Apologies again for the inappropriate text, and thank you for letting us know.

@shawnlewis888, How would I go about contacting the care taker?

I live near the castle and visited the caretaker who lives at the base.

1 Like

@shawnlewis888 This castle has fascinated me since i first saw it online five years ago. Is the caretaker willing to give tours or allow visitation if I drive up and ask him?

Will anyone be interested in helping me develop an idea that has been roaming in my mind for sometime now? I know some of you who come around these abandoned places are passionate enough to care. I’ll explain my idea: I think it will be nice to open an organization (I had in mind the acronym T.R.W - Together Restoring the World) to restore abandoned buildings/mansions/villas/castles/hotels/etc, around the world. A group of people who can donate their time and labor, to restore this places. Once the organization is established we can find private funds to buy material, tools, pay expenses, etc. We can also speak to the local government for permits needed, do a formal proposition to them stating our intentions, etc. We can also contact the current owners of some of these places (if they are privately owned) to show them the proposition/idea/get permission or approval, etc. I think some of these places are so beautiful, and its a shame they are going to waste over time, when they can actually help people in need. Maybe the mentally ill (like the past history of this castle), becoming an elderly housing building, an orphanage for kids who are orphans due to disasters, for those people who are homeless (because they’ve served our country and now have mental illnesses). There are many good usages these places can serve around the world. I think if we unite and create something like that, we will be contributing to a better world and at the same time we will be restoring these beautiful places to their glory days. It will also make us feel good to know that we’ve saved them from eventually getting demolished. I think those old structures are so strong, so firm… and to show that is the fact that they have stand strong through decades of neglect and even after the passing of many natural disasters. There they are still waiting for someone to care enough.