Crystal Beach Sugar Waffles

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Crystal Beach Sugar Waffles. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I don´t know which was the first one, but our fried flower or Calatrava flower is very old https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flor_frita

The Scandinavian version is also quite well known and old as well. Rosette (cookie) - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Yes – I agree. These were born earlier than the Ontario amusement park, but happy to know they are available beyond Scandinavian Christmas time!

My mother used to make these for me when I was a child. She called them Rosette or Rosettas. I remember her old irons, and how excited I got when she pulled them out. I wonder if you could find them today? I had no idea about any Ontario amusement park connection. I don’t think that’s where she got them from.

2 Likes

Right… And I invented gravy. :wink:
Those are a historic Scandinavian treat called a Rosette.

My SO’s favorite. They can be found at Mazureks Bakery on South Park Ave. in the Old First Ward in Buffalo N.Y.

1 Like

I know them as “bimbuñuelos”, a portmanteau of “buñuelo” which is a fried, sugary dessert (that normally doesn’t look a bit like a rosette) and Bimbo, the industrial bakery that makes them and whose name I know makes many an Anglophone smirk.

I’m sure they’re not as great as the traditional ones, but they’re real good broken in pieces in a bowl of milk, like a breakfast cereal.

Bimbunuelos by David Roberts, en Flickr

2 Likes

Oh wow. It’s been a bunch of decades since I ate these at Crystal Beach. Super crunchy (and sweet). You’d just snap off sections to eat. I liked to work may way around the outside and then eat the inner ring. Don’t get me started on jonesing for Loganberry. I know it’s not much more than flavored sugar water, but I liked to dilute the syrup with club soda.

1 Like

These are called Rosettes. The Rosette iron comes in many shapes. Some even in little cups where a savory filling is added. They are called Timbales and can be sweet or savory with a crabmeat or some other savory filling.
If a sweet Rosette or Timbale batter is used it has a bit of sugar in the batter but most of the sweetness comes from the dusting of powdered sugar. Savory Timbales have no sugar in the batter and some may even have herbs in the batter to enhance their savory filling.

These are very big in the Italian-American community in the NY/NJ area. Especially around the Christmas and New Years holidays. My family are of Neopolitan decent and have been making them for over 100 years with irons passed down through the generations. They are either dipped in warmed honey and sprinkled with tiny non pereils or dusted with confectioners sugar before serving.

1 Like