Cueva de los Tayos

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Cueva de los Tayos in Ecuador. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

1 Like

I followed Stan Hall’s website dedicated to the Tayos Cave and Metallic Library since I first heard about it through various Hyperdiffusionist forums to which I belonged at the time. In addition I read every skeptic site that argued against its existence, including additional ethnographic and geological literature related to the area. I had a friend who was a personal acquaintance of Von Daniken who had admitted to him that the greatest error he had made was claiming to have personally visited the site which resulted in his public humiliation whan a member of his audience during promotion of Gold of the God stepped forward to demonstrate that he was lying. Erik still maintained the authenticity of the cave despite having fudged the facts on the gold he’d shown as evidence.
After several years, another South American explorer named Stan Grist if I remember correctly appeared on one of the Hyperdiffusion forums to reveal the underlying truth of the matter. Grist had squandered much money, time and effort to locate the cave and had even succeeded in visiting the other cave entrance where the underground river running through the cave emerges as a waterfall from a cliff. From Stan Hall and Moricz who had informed Hall of the cave’s contents this other Stan had learned that the supposed library was located near the waterfall and not the areas explored by Armstrong and others. This spot proved to be impossible to enter by any means at his disposal. By that time he had become convinced that there was no truth to the library anyway but he became obsessed with finding the foundation for this tale since it had absorbed so much resources from those like Stan Hall who went to his grave sincerely believing in its existence.
Through numerous interviews with the Moricz and wife of his younger assistant, Petronio Jaramillo,who had been murdered by a local military faction, Stan learned that Jaramillo had approached the older one with this fantastic tale and in turn Stan Hall based most of his faith on that man’s testimony. The wife revealed that her husband had been working on a fictional novel containing most of the elements of the Tayos tale that she had typed herself. The Tayos story was originally intended to promote this fiction as a sort of pre-release hype. Since the area is so remote and the young man had cultivated friendship with the Shaur who were hostile to outsiders particularly the military at the time, there was little chance anyone would contradict his assertions. The Shaur had their own sacred traditons relating to the cave and this provided the seed for the young man’s fictional narrative. The military at the time had claimed the cave as under their jurisdiction and had plans for its development as a tourist attraction. It is perhaps because of this conflict the young man was eventually murdered disguised as the work of local insurrectionists. There are similar caves in South America with similar associated legends that I ran across in a 19th century account of a diplomat’s wife who managed to investigate one after negotiating the cooperation of a hostile tribe. Somewhere in my cluttered archives I saved much of this documentation but I’ve already expended more time in bringing this to your attention without engaging in a time consuming snipe hunt. It is also archived somewhere at the Graham Hancock Message Board where I engaged in a similar discussion when the material was much fresher in my mind. As a result of that discussion a young woman residing locally who is a relative of one of Stan Hall’s informants contacted me seeking further information and closure on her deceased relative. I regretfully informed her that I had not known the deceased personally and that was the extent of the information I could give her.
And that is all the information I can give you at the moment. Thanks for listening.
ETA: I’ve corrected the names of Stan Grist, Petronio Jaramillo and Moricz and found the earlier account I gave at Graham Hancock Message Board which is more accurate than the synopsis given above and includes direct quotes from Stan Grist. Here is the link to that post. Decide for yourself on the veracity of Grist’s testimony.

1 Like