David Bowie's furniture in Mount Dora, Florida

This past weekend, my family and I went and explored the little central Florida town of Mount Dora. The town is probably best known for citrus millionaire Bill Bland (and the sad, litigious ending of his life), but we went because we’d heard of a different kind of treasure: David Bowie’s furniture from the 1980’s Memphis Group, stored in a tiny museum in the middle of town.

The Modernism Museum is tiny but well curated, and currently hosts a rotating exhibit of vivid and colorful Memphis Group furnishings and decor. There are stars next to some of the signage, and those mean that Bowie owned the item – you can just imagine what his 80s mansion must’ve looked like in its heyday. There is a 20 minute video about the history of the items, and the rest of the place takes about an hour for a good, long stare.

The volunteer docent was more than happy to walk around with us and talk about each piece, including the history of the two pop-art pianos that are in use for museum performances. In all, it was worth a half a day to explore the museum and downtown Mount Dora, including a meal at the interesting restaurant Goblin Market.

9 Likes

That green chair definitely befits the Goblin King.

2 Likes

This is so awesome. I am supremely satisfied to see that David Bowie’s taste in furniture is as dramatically sci-fi as I imagined.

1 Like

Love theMemphis school.It got its name from Dylan song MEMPHIS BLUES AGAIN.