Democracy Sausage

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Democracy Sausage. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

The Democracy Sausage is real. However, I’d like to raise a few points:

• The headline is misleading, Australians do not receive a sausage for voting.
  • I’ve never heard of onions costing extra.
  • It’s pretty unusual for the sausages to be given away for free (I’ve not seen it).

Polling stations are just perfect places for fundraisers, such as sausage sizzles or bake sales.

What happens if you don’t pay the 20-buck fine for not voting? Do they take away your snag and throw you in jail?

Bunnings hardware don’t charge community groups to run a sausage sizzle outside one of their stores. They provide the BBQ, furniture and gas. Community groups then supply the rest. Prices are fixed at $2.50 per sausage with or without onion. Well organised groups can make $1,000-$2,000 profit on a single day.

I don’t think I’d ever heard of mandatory voting in Australia. How does that work? Is there an option to abstain on the ballot? What if you don’t like any of the choices you’re given?