Does your country have a recurring food event?

food

Hello, all! Does your country have a recurring food event? We’re not talking corned beef on Saint Patrick’s Day or Easter ham, here: think more Taco Tuesday.

In Sweden, a common Thursday meal is ärtsoppa och pannkakor. Pea soup followed by pancakes with strawberry jam and cream, the custom dates back centuries to when Friday fasts required a hearty meal the night before.

(miikas/ CC BY-SA 2.0)

Friday in Morocco is couscous day. Post midday prayers, people head home or to restaurants for lots of couscous. Making traditional couscous (described here) is a labor-intensive process that involves many hours of steaming.

An honorable mention goes to Argentina’s Dia de Ñoquis. Every month on the 29th (traditionally the day before payday) people ate inexpensive potato gnocchis. Now, it’s a custom in restaurants and homes alike.

So! Is there a regional, recurring food custom in your area? We’re particularly interested in nation-wide examples, but if a region has one too, that’s great! Your answer could even be in an upcoming article on Atlas Obscura.

5 Likes

I’m from Spain, and there are just so many all over the country. In particular, I will talk about the Feast of Turnips at La Foz de Morcín, Asturias, where my father is from. On the second or third sunday of January (whichever falls closer to Saint Anthony the Great, or “Santo Antón”, which happens on the 17th), the tradition is to eat a hearty turnip stew, pote de nabos. Turnips all by themselves don’t have much flavour or even nutritional properties, but the stew comes loaded with a plethora of meats, including chorizo (traditional Spanish paprika-cured sausage), morcilla (blood sausage), ribs, shoulder, and even ears, all from pork. And the traditional dessert to go with it (although we eat them many times around the year) is casadielles, a deep-fried or oven-baked puff pastry with a filling of chopped walnuts or hazelnuts liberally sprinkled with anisette liquor.

The Guild of Friends of the Turnip organizes most of the event, including granting the Golden Turnip to personalities or locals that have somehow distinguished themselves in that year. The award ceremony includes a giant turnip suddenly falling from the sky and the awardee having to kiss it. It’s all quite peculiar, I guess.

3 Likes

The USA is a big place, so I will focus on south Florida which has a variety of food events from fun stuff to heavy duty harvesting of surplus.

For harvests we have huge ‘events’ where we are inundated with avocados and mangoes as they grow by the ton in our area. We have groups that go out and harvest from trees in peoples back yards (with permission) and donate the fruit to various entities that sell or serve it.

Last year we harvested over 2500lbs of mangoes to donate. this year will be a bumper crop as the trees are completely covered in flowers right now. If the season remains stable, it will dwarf any harvest we’ve seen in years.

We have the garlic fest in Lake Worth, FL every year.
Big chili events in Broward County and Dade County (South FL)
Large seafood festivals in Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

Not a country wide event, but it sure feel like it when you are at the events. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have a National Braai Day in South Africa on 24th September every year Itnis officially known as Heritage Day but there is so much politics in denying Colonialism and pushing the heritage of the majority that a certain section of the population started Braai Day and it is now an official event all over South Africa In our village which is in a farming areawe have a Port Festival as Ca;itzdorp is known as the Port Capital of South Africa We also have the apricot festival where the aom is to use part of the harvest to produce 1000 bottles of jam and preserves most of which is sold to support charities

3 Likes

This is amazing! I don’t think I’ve ever read a more delightful phrase than the “Guild of Friends of the Turnip.” Casadielles sound incredible too.

1 Like

I’m originally from California, so I feel you on the fruit surplus! Especially this time of year. That’s great that you go out and harvest people’s backyard fruit, it’s always sad when it goes to waste. Those all sound like really cool food events! I never realized there were other garlic fests outside of the really big one Gilroy in California has every year.

1 Like

Here in Brazil, we have recurring food events depending on the region of the country. Because the country is so big and a real melting pot of people and cultures, you can have dishes based on different cuisines of the world and ingredients from tropical and temperate crops. I’m in the southeast region, in the city of São Paulo specifically, so here we have our national dish served every Saturday lunch. You can enjoy it in the most popular restaurants in the city, usually with samba and cold beer.

1 Like

In France we have “la Chandeleur” which is basically the crêpe day - it used to be a pagan holiday, then a catholic one, and nowadays it’s mostly just a day when you have to make and eat crêpes, usually wheat ones with sweet fillings (not the buckwheat ones with savory fillings, or at the very least not in my family tradition). It happens every second of february (and I remember it as something not unlike an end of a period of feasting, that would start with christmas, then the galette des rois ‘season’, then the chandeleur).

1 Like

Oooh, an apricot festival sounds wonderful!

Oh, cool! What’s the national dish you mention?

I would definitely celebrate the crêpe day!

Sure, it’s Feijoada, a stew of black beans and pork sided with rice with vegetables and fresh orange slices. It’s a dish created by the slaves during the colonial time.

1 Like