Drive Through Lazio Countryside

Will be in Rome 2 weeks in early October and would like to take a couple of days to explore the area northwest of Rome by car, heading toward Viterbo, possibly further north. Any suggestions for small towns or sites of interest along the way would be greatly and you.

1 Like

My husband, daughter, and I spent a week in Italy in 2016, and our “hub” was a small village called Vignanello (reasonably close to Viterbo). Very picturesque, very old, with a castle nearby. Had THE ABSOLUTE BEST food of our entire trip at a tiny restaurant there called La Cantina del Gusto. The proprietor’s name is Alvaro, and he will make you anything you want - even if it’s not on the menu. If it is not too cold, get a table outside for the beautiful view.
Not far is Lake Bolsena - also very pretty. Have a great time - it is a beautiful part of Italy.

Thank you! That sounds perfect, going to check it out now.

While I don’t have any personal experience in the region, you can also take a look through the Rome place that we have on Atlas Obscura and see if there’s anything that sparks a little wonder:

Thank you, Eric, actually I found the forum through this page!

1 Like

Tarquina, an Etruscan site, was a fabulous place to visit; another Etruscan alternative we didn’t get to was Cerviteri. Also, in you are near the port of Civitavecchia, in the little beach town of Ladispori, there’s a great restaurant, Osteria al Mercato, with local fresh foods. We had the chef/owner cook us the day’s catch of a big fish and it was amazing, along with delicious GF pasta. Just north of Lazio in Umbria are two interesting places: Civita de Bagnoregio and Orvieto. Civita is quaint and generally not lived in but a day trip back into time. Orvieto is one of those magical hill towns with architectural, cultural and religious sites, good trattorias, and nearby wineries for tasting and tours. We went to Tenuta le Vellette in years past; not sure if they open now for the public.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like