Driving From NYC to Los Angeles.....first time ever. Lookin' for suggestions...Wanna hit a handful of offbeat/obscure/unforgettable Roadside attractions along the way

So yeah, by myself. Moving…trying to do it in like 5/6 days… Haven’t mapped the trip out yet. I’m a fan of Huge Statues…Odd Religions, Filming Locations…I’m into Haunted stuff but also a chicken with a wild imagination. Not interested in anything that involves trespassing or is too rigorous physically. And definitely man-made over Natural sites.

3 Likes

Any idea which general route you’re taking? Southern? Northern? Name some favorite movies. I can point you to tons of filming locations when you hit LA.

Hey! Definitely taking Southern route…as far as filming locations, The Southern Cali ones I’ve seen alot already. I’m mostly interested in seeing a few Weird, inspirational things along the way. Temples, Swamps…places with a history. But not mainstream.

I think you’ll be too far south, but Lucas Kansas is worth a stop if you’re ever going across I-80. In addition to the Garden of Eden it was generally a spooky town when I was there, and I just realised that it was 23 years ago. They may have modernised a bit, but the Garden of Eden is still there. I had my kids with me and in looking for a place to stay we found a big old house that rented out rooms. The doors were open, but no one was home. There was a note on a table in the living room that said “Pick a room and I’ll collect the money from you tomorrow morning when I get back from my shift at the hospital.” There was a fridge in the living room, containing only a case of beer. My kids and I went upstairs to take a look at the rooms. My older son, who was about five at the time, decided that there was no way in hell we were staying there. It did seem like the set up from a horror film.

2 Likes

Holy God goodness! I Google mapped Lucas & you’re absolutely right… desolate & somewhat foreboding. Garden of Eden is still there. You’re definitely on the right track. But I need a little more aesthetic inspiration. I’m also into Offbeat Mom & pop museums. Art, wax, etc. Found a cool place in Santa Fe called Meow Wolf i was thinking of checking out. I’ve been to Velaslavasay Panorama in L.A. and the Museum of Jurassic technology…& I dug em both.

1 Like

Ah, Jurassic Technology, I love that place. If you’re taking the southern route a detour to Marfa Texas is worth the drive. It’s pretty well known, and not exactly an Atlas Obscura kind of place. There’s the Chinati Foundation, started by sculptor Donald Judd, and a tiny New York in the desert has sprung up around it. There are the “marfa lights” listed on AO, but there’s also great pizza and art. And some old motels that have been restored to their former glory.

Ooh, I’ve had friends that have been to Meow Wolf. If it’s at all on your route, you should make it a priority. I’m dying to go myself.

1 Like

Marfa probably too far for this trip.

I recommend going on Highway 50 thru Nevada. Be sure to take State highway 722 that loops back to 50. Beautiful country, and you might see what I think was a Chinese FT2000 T.E.L. parked by the side of the road. Pic is from a few years back. I have no idea what the significance of the bra tied on the mirror is…

I would make sure you stop in Madrid New Mexico, just a few minutes south of Santa Fe, but in an entirely different dimension. And you have to see Joshua Tree National Park. Have to. The little town of Joshua Tree nearby is full of oddities and UFO sightings and was the location of Gram Parsons death, with his cremation in the park. Don’t forget the Institute of Mentakphysics headquarters, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, that is very close by.

1 Like

If you travel I-10 across the southern route, in Houston there are giant Beatles statues by local artist David Adickes here Giant Beatles Statues (Houston) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor and giant Presidents also by Adickes here Google Maps and lots of them at his studio here Google Maps. If you find yourself on I-40, just west of Amarillo is the Cadillac Ranch - bring a can of spray paint and add to the artwork here Google Maps. In south west Texas, south of I-10 on H90 and west of Marfa - a great artist town in it’s own right - is the remains and additions of the set of the movie Giant (Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean). It’s not too far out of the way, especially if you spend a night or two in Marfa Google Maps.

1 Like

If you go interstate 70, stop by Topeka, Kansas and visit the Brown vs Board of Education historical site. It is wonderful. As for odd religions, you will find the Westboro Baptist Church in an unassuming neighborhood. It is worth a drive-by view as a way to remind yourself to always avoid being judgmental and mean.

2 Likes

These are all stellar suggestions. I’m keeping a log!

2 Likes

@TheoNeoGeo Always feel free to try our road trip planner. It’s still in the beta/testing phase so not sure how well it will work over long distance, but it should give you some great stops along the way if you input where you are currently then heading. Hope this helps you out! And feel free to provide us some feedback on the tool. Have a great trip. https://www.atlasobscura.com/search/between/new

2 Likes

Wow!! Ok i plugged myself in!! Looks Amazing…I’ll definitely update you on how this Goes…Yonkers to Redondo Beach. It’s On! Not for a few weeks. But yeah, it’s totally On!

1 Like

No problem!! Enjoy!!!:beers:

You might try picking up some of the old Route 66 along the way. I just drove from SoCal to Cleveland via I40 and it was interesting. You have to look for the Historic Route 66 signs though. Route 66 heads north from St Louis to Chicago but most of what’s left is in NM, AZ, CA. I40 is what replaced it.

So will it alert me…When I’m close to locations? Or do i have to choose them in advance?

I believe if you put in the where you currently are then destination it will give you the various Atlas places that are along that route, and markers of their location and directions. Yous should be able to zoom into specific locations. We are still working to improve its functionality and ability, but it is a quick way to find out what Atlasy locations are near you and how to get there.

If take a southerly route , do sample dining in Santa Fe & all NM as U head west from state.
Best dining in Santa Fe & home to atomic tests & UFOs, see Roswell NM area,.
See CO River at CA AZ border 2 & Grand Canyon, Have Fun

1 Like