"Echoes of the 1894 Plague Still Reverberate in Hong Kong" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Echoes of the 1894 Plague Still Reverberate in Hong Kong. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

Interesting article and really doesn’t suprise me. I think that echoes and reverberations of all great pandemics are still being felt and rather like ghosts are still haunting the collective conciousness of Nations and regions though we can’t perceive their ripple effects through the centuries.

Pandemics are almost always societal levellers and gamechangers and they often bring in the long term both good and ill in equal measure. I don’t think that the coronavirus will be any different in that regard it is going to haunt us for a long time. Who knows what human civilization will look like it in its wake ?

1 Like

@Monsieur_Mictlan very very well said. I can see this ushering us closer to living in a more digital world, where you really won’t have to leave home to do much of anything. But just my thoughts. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with you Jonathan about the move towards digital work from home. I think it will revolutionise what we hitherto considered as the workplace (bound to have some huge implications for higher education too) but though there will be a lot of positives that come from this I think there are bound to be some negatives too.

Recently I listened to this podcast episode on this subject from Sam Harris , it was pretty eye opening, you might find it interesting too.

1 Like

Thanks! I will certainly give this a listen :beers:

1 Like

So is it the Shropshire Regiment as mentioned in the text, or the Staffordshire Regiment as in the captions?

These podcasts appeared on the BBC history extra site recently and can be listened to for free. Very interesting episodes given the current crisis we are facing as a species.

1 Like