Egg Cream

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Egg Cream. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Vanilla Egg Cream is where it’s at.

2 Likes

I made my first ever egg cream earlier this evening, and it was good.

Let me ask, when making a vanilla egg cream, does one just substitute vanilla extract for the chocolate syrup, or is there more I need to know?*

*Obviously, that would taste terrible, as there’d be no sweetening agent (it occurred to me just moments after initially posting).

Clearly, vanilla syrup must exist. I’ll probably find it in the coffee aisle.

I just ran across this article, I grew up in Brooklyn in the 50’s and 60’s but never had an egg cream until my boyfriend in college, also a Brooklynite , made one for me. I have made them on and off, ever since….with U Bet syrup………

But I remember the candy stores! And the news stores that had comic books and a soda fountain and newspapers and magazines! I remember one with a wooden floor.these places were magical for kids, and I am guessing, some adults also. These small places , and the candy stores also, are sorely missed. There was an atmosphere there that sadly is lacking in many stores now. And yes, a person was often known by name. This was a special deal in a place where 3.5 million people lived. Nice memories……