Faroe Islands One-Lane Tunnels

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Faroe Islands One-Lane Tunnels in the Faroe Islands. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

There are quite a few of these tunnels in north west Iceland. The is one that is five miles long and has an intersection in the middle.

2 Likes

I grew up in a little village deep in the jungle in Panama, which had a one lane bridge across a deep, wide river. Other than the railroad which also crossed this bridge, there was no other way in or out. At each end of the bridge was a red/green light which you really had to pay attention to, because the bridge had a sweeping curve in the middle so you couldn’t see the other end. If someone ran the red light, there could be a “Panamanian stand-off” in the middle of the bridge, and someone would have to back up. It was an awesome bridge, built around 1895 or so, and it was a lot of fun to jump off of into the cool water when I was a kid. Last year, a new 2 lane bridge was opened, and now people won’t know the horror of meeting a car half-way across. I think that’s sad.

1 Like

All the horrors we’ve lost…