Financiers

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Financiers. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/financiers?utm_source=atlas-forum&utm_medium=referral

I notice the inclusion of almond flour - an ingredient which is virtually unheard of in most American supermarkets today.

On the other hand, I recall from Townsends 18th century cooking channel that almond flour was historically, if not common, used sometimes - there’s a cookie recipe I mean to try soon which uses exclusively almonds without any wheat flour at all!

Why did almonds lose their prominence in our diet? I know they’re getting something of a resurgence, but they largely disappeared for quite a while.

1 Like

@hasufin, I have found almond flour to be readily available in grocery stores; either in 1lb. bags or in bulk. Perhaps it’s regional. I live on the left coast.

To some extent, I’m sure it is - when I lived in the SF Bay area I generally found it easier to locate less common ingredients. And, of course, people grow almonds in California.

But understand - I’m not lamenting that I can’t find almond flour; rather I’m observing that while every grocery store has a broad selection of wheat flours, a typical store might have almond flour, but it very possibly will not. Almonds generally, and almond flour in particular, seems to have been a more common component of medieval and colonial diets, so sometime in the 19th century I suspect they fell out of favor for some reason.

These are very common in Australian cafes, where they are known as friands (FREE-onds).

Almond meal can also be used.

1 Like