Fjaðrárgljúfur

ao-places
places
places-in-iceland

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Fjaðrárgljúfur in Iceland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Iceland has closed Fjaðrárgljúfur to tourists because of environmental damage from increased tourism. Thanks, Justin Bieber! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

Any new on this? Is the canyon still closed for visiting? There is no information about it’s closure on official webs :confused:

Unfortunately I’m not seeing anything that says it has reopened, so it may still be off limits.

I have seen posts in other groups from it, this is why I’m wondering :slight_smile: Well, I will probably just try to drive by add check on the spot

1 Like

[UPDATE] The road to reach the Canyon is closed due to bad conditions (mud, overflow, winter in general), which leaves it inaccessible by vehicle from the main road. Notice says that it is planned to be reopened on May 1st.
Just an assumption - with decent preparation, might be possible to walk there from the main road. Personally haven’t tried this option due to horrible weather.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the update!