Fort Ross

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Fort Ross in Jenner, California. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

6/5/2019 - We pulled in just after it had closed, so I hit them all out of the park on this day apparently. So we were not able to get in to the fort but we got a good view from outside. Also I had close-up encounter with a bobcat which was awesome.

1 Like

Uses:
TV & Movie production.
Group tours.
Cosplays
Rest stop for PCH users.
Camping?
Re enactments.
to add $$$ for area
& Wine Tasting alone off site from Ft Ross

1 Like

I’ve never gone into the Fort, just stopped at the Fort Ross Store across the way, which seems to have unpredictable hours. All I can tell you is I spend a lot of weekends riding my motorcycle up the PCH to Point Arena and back, which takes me right through Fort Ross. Even after years of that it’s still an enjoyable area, so there’s good reason to go there once at least. The region from Bodega Bay to Stewarts Point along the coast, and from Jenner to Guernville along the Russian River is superb (don’t go over 25 mph in Jenner, but take advantage of the restrooms.) If you don’t mind twisty mountain roads, the Skagg’s Springs - Stewarts Point road is a gem, and not overcrowded.

The sign on the other side of the road says, “Healdsburg 445 curves ahead”

1 Like