"Found: The Oldest-Known Photograph of Enslaved African Americans With Cotton" Discussion Thread

Welcome to the discussion thread for the story, Found: The Oldest-Known Photograph of Enslaved African Americans With Cotton. You can share your comments and thoughts about the story in the conversation below.

3 Likes

This is very interesting. The photo is surprisingly bright & colorful to me. I would’ve thought that the photos would depict a more dreary, black & white and/or grey background, maybe because slavery is a horrible thing in my mind. Very interesting either way.

Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Daguerreotype is a very interesting photographic process. One of my absolute favorites! I would think the color is of the plate or was painted on afterwards. :grinning:

3 Likes

Good to know. Learning something new every day.

1 Like

" The daguerreotype records their faces, but not their names" this subtitle implies that daguerrotypes commonly had the individuals identified. in my experience as a collector of 19th c. CDVs and cabinet cards it is very rare to find a person’s name on the photo, front or back. Not even the slave owner is identified on the dag. His identification is base upon other information

1 Like

they were colorized later on

@podaalho I spoke with the author of this piece and yes they were more than likely colored at a later time. If you would like to know more here is the listing for the picture, which includes some more images and details. Thanks for the interest!!! :beers:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing that!

1 Like

I agree re the color. Many early images (daguerrotypes, lantern slides, and prints) were treated in this way. Also, the baskets aren’t wicker - they are likely woven from split oak. Judging from actual ones I’ve seen, they’re extremely sturdy.

Very expensive.

I also wish that the faces were more visible. Were it not for the descriptions, I would’ve thought that the slave owner was actually one of the slaves.

Interesting…

To me, the man on the left looks like he is holding a plow of that era rather then leaning on a cane.

1 Like

The one of Abe Lincoln and Ulysses Grant are not in color, to my knowledge. Wonder why?

1 Like