Friday Trivia and Factoid Factory

It’s Friday, which means that I’ve begun distractedly wandering down internet wormholes instead of working (although this IS my job, so… :exploding_head:), picking up random, wonderful bits of trivia along the way. And what better source of trivia than you, our dear, fascinating, curious readers?! Let’s share the best bits of knowledge we’ve discovered this week!

Thanks to a stray lyric in the Alan Jackson song, “Midnight in Montgomery,” I’ve become rather fascinated by the history of “Nudie Suits,” those fabulous, eye-catching, and very extra suits worn by country stars ranging from Hank Williams to Elvis. They got their name from the tailor that pioneered their style, a Ukranian immigrant, Nuta Kotlyarenko, better known as, Nudie Cohn. His flamboyant suits gave the country music scene a whole new, rhinestone-and-flare look that remains iconic to this day. Amazing.

Now help us celebrate another successful week by sharing your favorite odd factoids and bits of obscure trivia in the comments below. Let’s get curious!

1 Like

This might be more “really?” than trivia or factoid, but being in a tech field I come across stuff like this all the time. This is going to be WAY nerd for most people, but the synopsis is: you can “hide” words in any electronic text like posts here, your emails, Word docs etc. and they’re completely invisible when someone reads it on a computer unless you know they’re there and know how to look for them.

(if I’m off the spirit of the thread feel free to blow me up Eric) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve always been gobsmacked by something I heard after David Bowie passed away. The day after his friend, John Lennon, had been assassinated by Mark David Chapman, Bowie starred in The Elephant Man on Broadway. While on stage, he knew that the three empty seats in the front row were meant to be filled by his fallen friend, John’s wife Yoko Ono, and the killer, Mark David Chapman. The detectives told Bowie that he was second on Chapman’s hit list and detectives had found a playbill for The Elephant Man in his room. “I can’t tell you how difficult that was to go on,” said Bowie. "I almost didn’t make it through the performance.” Source: John Lennon's Assassin Had a Hit List & David Bowie Was Next | In The Studio with Redbeard

9 Likes

Whoa! What?!

This is a great factoid! Never too nerdy.

Aghshesuufshkfjeijehgh…WHUT!!! How have I never heard this?

Wow! Cool.
Back in 1978 I worked for a record distributor in Chicago, M.S. Distributors.
They had purchased another distributor’s warehouse out in L.A., and sent myself, and another guy out there to inventory the place. They put us up at Beverly Garland’s HoJo. We were there for several months.After A grinding day of counting records, we would come back to the hotel, and drink at the bar. It was always fairly crowded at happy hour, so it wasn’t easy getting a seat at the bar. One evening there was a vacant seat, and the gentleman sitting next to it implored me to sit down. He introduced himself as “Nudie.” I had no idea who he was. After several drinks, I asked him what he did for a living, and he told me he made suits for Elvis, and other famous country musicians. I laughed, and told him that I made bras for Dolly Parton, or something nonsensical. He laughed, and we hit it off. I asked what he really did, and he insisted on dragging me out to the parking lot to show me his car. I followed, and there was this outrageous Cadillac with “Nudie” license plates, It had Texas longhorn steer horns on the hood, a pistol for the shifter, and the dash was covered with silver dollars.
After that, we became good barroom buddies, and Nudie always saved a seat for me at the bar.
I seemed to amuse him. He was a great guy, and he told the best stories.
I’ll always treasure my few months at the bar with Nudie.

8 Likes

I learned this week that rare “leftie” snails, snails whose shells coil counterclockwise, cannot mate with “righty” snails whose shells coil clockwise. There are entire initiatives out there to hook up lefties to mate!

8 Likes

This story is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

haha this gave me an audible, “WHAT?!”!

Yikes. I can’t imagine getting on stage after hearing that. I also had to look up to be sure that MDC was apprehended right away. I’d have lost it if he were still on the loose.

And just as I wrote that I wanted to make a corny, questionably tasteless joke about “Under Pressure”.

2 Likes

And just as I thought dating in your 40s was bad. I hope snails’ cerebral cortex is small enough that those lefties don’t have have body issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Andre the Giant was a wrestler that was a phenomena in his time. I stumbled across some information about him and thought I would share it with you all. Born in France, he quickly became famous in that part of the world as a professional wrestler. Briefly, he was champion in many countries and wrestled people like Hulk Hogan just to name one. He was married twice in which the second one produced a daughter. Andre was first cast as the television “The Incredible Hulk” but did now last long into the first episode as he was afraid of heights and did not like the green makeup. He was replaced by Lou Ferrigno and they had to shoot the opening show again before it was released to the public. Andre enjoyed animals and woodworking. He also had a ranch in North Carolina which he left to his daughter upon his death. I know this is brief and there are many, many facts I did not mention (like he was very tall at 7’ 4" and once weighed as much as 520 pounds). I hope you enjoy more research on this giant of a man.

5 Likes

Truly, this giant has a posse.

This is more embarrassing than trivia, but I just found out last night that when you snap the sound comes from your middle finger hitting your palm, not from your thumb and middle finger pressing together…

1 Like

Don’t be embarrassed. I only learned a year ago that you don’t pronounce the “C” in “indict.” As an editor… I was pretty embarrassed.

1 Like

Love it. We have lots of instances like that in my family. We always chalk it up to being ‘a reader instead of a talker.’

2 Likes

Made my way to the Valley Relics Museum today only to realize Nudie Cohn also designed cars.

5 Likes

That is… beautiful.

2 Likes

Those of us literate before out time often tend to guess at pronunciation from the printed word. I initially pronounced “digit” with a hard “g”. Embarrassing moment of discovery . . .

1 Like