Frog Eye Salad

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Frog Eye Salad. Ask questions or share tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this food, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Lol. I’m LDS and I’ve never seen or heard of this before. I can say, however, that we essentially survive off potatoes at every church gathering with food. :laughing:

1 Like

I grew up in SLC, and I can confirm the abundance of potato dishes.

I first had frog eye salad at a bible study at my Lutheran church a few years ago. The lady who made it later gave me her recipe, and she uses tapioca for the “eyes” instead of pasta.

1 Like

I was just going to say the same thing.

I’m not completely convinced that it is really a Mormon item at all. That said I first encountered Frog Eye Salad because of a sister who got the recipe when she was a student in Minnesota. I have subsequently encountered it other odd places but no one could tell me anything other then its a Mormon dish. I have a very sneaking suspicion that it is from the northern midwest region of the USA and is just attributed to the Mormons since the basic recipe does make a vat.

My first thought was “You’re kidding, right?” My extended LDS family pretty much covers the Rocky Mountain region and the Great Basin (well, the entire west). I chose not to join, but that didn’t get me out of the many family gatherings, picnics, reunions, etc. I had never heard of Frogs Eye Salad before this article, nor anything resembling the recipe, either. Now, it does resemble in some respects things I was served while visiting (decidedly non-Mormon) friends in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but they sure did not use that name. Sounds like a few folk tales got mixed up somewhere along the line.

Now, potatoes, yes: in every possible way they can be fixed, and in multiple versions.

I first got to taste it when I was living out west, but never got the recipe, since I never knew who had brought it to the pot luck family reunion. So I was super excited to find it at a Relief Society dinner when I moved back to the east coast. It was an LDS activity the 2nd time I got to have it, but none of them had lived out west, but it tasted exactly like the Idaho version. I made sure to track down the recipe that time. I’ve never seen or tasted it with coconut though. And the marshmallows are stirred in, not on top. So, so delicious. That’s the main thing I’m asked to bring to gatherings now, LDS or not.

1 Like