Fun Destinations Near London?

Hey all!

I’m going to be in London next month and am looking at perhaps taking a train a couple hours out for an overnight stay in somewhere…well, somewhere not-London. Does anyone have any recommendations on interesting places to visit that are a few hours train ride out of London?

1 Like

When I was in London last summer, I took a day trip to Brighton, which is full of charmingly quirky shops and cafes. It’s only about an hour train ride from London so it’s super easy to get to, and the city itself is so walkable.

2 Likes

There are so many, too many amazing places to list, but it depends on what you consider fun I guess. A couple I can think of that I like would be Oxford (university town with lots of history and gorgeous architecture, as well as the Harry Potter tours if you’re into that), Stratford-upon-Avon if you like quaint towns and have any interest in adorable thatched roof cottages that Shakespeare lived in although I’m not completely sure of trains to that location.

1 Like

All those suggestons above are great. I can also suggest Cambridge University, absolutely lovely and stepping back into time. To the west, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Bath and Cardiff are all magnificent.

3 Likes

Bath and Oxford are two places my husband & I went on daytrips on when we went to London. Had an absolutely fantastic time.

Fabulous afternoon tea at the Roman Baths, the Jane Austen museum is a must for fans, and wonderful architecture all around.

The University and the Bodleian library were great and the outside book shoppes were amazing. Also, the architecture!

2 Likes

Greenwich.

2 Likes

Define what fun means to you and I’ll see if I have any suggestions

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I’m going to take a look at them all and figure out my itinerary. I’m planning it a bit just as I go instead of in advance, which is not usually my style but it is fun!

1 Like