Game apps

It might be something you downloaded because you get bored on layovers, waiting in line, or in traffic on public transportation. Or you heard about the latest craze, wanted to find out what it was all about and got hooked. What’s amazing is no matter where you are, it’s pretty easy to play games because of the technology our mobile phones and laptops are now capable of. Sometimes I still get shocked that we hold in the palm of our hands more hardware and software than that which sent man to the Moon (btw, Moon landing 50th anniversary on July 20!).

So whether it’s Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, or Pokémon Go, we find ourselves easily entertained wherever we may be. What gaming apps are on your phone, laptop or desktop?

I can only keep up with two: Elvenar, which is an epic fantasy city-building game developed by a German-based company and Wizards Unite, the Harry Potter counterpart of Pokémon Go. I periodically play Homescapes and Word Cookies. My gateway gaming apps were The Legend of Zelda, The Sims and Second Life. I loved the art of Final Fantasy VIII.

Link + Zelda forever!

3 Likes

I NEED THAT BAG!!! Link’s Awakening was one of my go-to games as a kid for road trips. I had Ocarina of Time on my phone at one point lol

1 Like

I haven’t played video games in a looong time (we’re talking Sega Genesis era) EXCEPT in the case of my roommate bringing home the Uncharted collection, which I’ve been playing purely for the gorgeous vistas and archaeological capers! But I’ve been seriouy considering getting Wizard’s Unite on my phone.

1 Like

The longer I think on this topic, I start to remember other CD-ROM games such as Myst, The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour.

Get it! I’ll give you my friend code so we can play together.

Believe it or not, I found a Dementor at work, in the break room. I mean, how could someone who’s not an employee find it? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got it from one of my favourite websites, ThinkGeek. Sadly, they’re closing since GameStop, who bought them in 2015, is assimilating the brand back to The Borg on July 2. So sad. I can remember when they were moving to bigger digs in 2009 as part of their expansion and I visited them as they were packing up their offices. I’ll miss them lots. :sob:

However, it looked like you might be in luck since the backpack is also on Amazon. :+1:

2 Likes

Also everything that’s still on Think Geek is 50% off right now! Bargains!

I’m always playing some phone game. I usually replay old Final Fantasy games, and as much as I hate to admit it, I play Marvel Strike Force all the time. Also, I tried out Wizards Unite! and the Atlas office is right over a magic bakery!

3 Likes

I played the indie puzzle games Monument Valley 1 and 2 on my last trip - it’s such a beautiful and meditative game. I highly recommend them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s actually 75% of with the discount code “LIQUIFY” - I shopped at about 1:30am early this morning as a last hurrah/farewell tour for two (2) Japan-movement, water-resistant, leather band watches and a commemorative shirt, all under $30, even counting the shipping fee! So there are definitely good deals going on. I almost bought the Picard facepalm bust but I stopped myself from completing the transaction.

Also, I should lock away my wallet that early in the morning. Oh well, my husband loves watches…and I’ll truly miss ThinkGeek.

I guess @Ssshannon & I might be making a trip to the AO office. Wanna join, @Monsieur_Mictlan?

3 Likes

To the Atlas Obscura office ? Sorry , I’ve been a bit of an insomniac tonight reading and am half asleep hahaha , not sure I understand what you mean

1 Like

Yes, to the Atlas Obscura office, since I have Wizards Unite, Shannon is thinking of getting it, and we’re just having you tag along with us. Although it’s also because Shannon has bakery connections. Magic bakery, you know?

2 Likes

I’m going to have to look this up - thanks for the rec!

I’ve added and deleted that Picard bust to my cart about a million times. I don’t need it! (But I do…)

2 Likes

I hope you bought it because when I checked yesterday, it was sold out!

The watches I got were sold out, too. Things are flying off the shelves!

(One of the watches I got for less than $10.)

1 Like

@jonathancarey, I blame, um, thank you for my shopping sprees (yes, plural). If I wasn’t trying to look for where I bought my Link bag, I wouldn’t have found out that the ThinkGeek website was closing. Got lots of memories of the stuff I got from them and nostalgia is a very twisty road to economic perdition. :wink:

2 Likes

I have Sony the Hedgehog 1, 2, Sonic CD on my phone… they bring me back to simpler times. The pesky ads had me paying extra for a smoother play, but it was not really a lot so I did not mind.

3 Likes

Man Final Fantasy IV was sick. The most played game by me as a child. Definitely should play it again. Dunno about the VII but it looks fine, might test it. Another game that jumped in my heart would be Assassin’s creed. Pretty sad bc it’s lagging on my laptop. I think you should buy a new PC. Yet, this shows some options on which you can run the game smoothly. I might try this first and then make a decision should I buy a new laptop or PC.

2 Likes

My favorite game for phones is 80 days which is, incidentally, a very Atlas Obscura flavored game. You have to help your eccentric rich employer circumnavigate the globe in 80 days in a steampunk-flavored global milieu.

3 Likes