Gap of Dunloe

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Gap of Dunloe in Ireland. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

I have visited Ireland a few times for vacation and the Gap of Dunloe was a huge highlight. I am normally not a “tour” person but we booked a tour based out of Killarney. It was a bus ride to the general area of the Gap of Dunloe where we were paired up with a horse and cart. We rode the cart part of the time and walked alongside for a part as well to give the horse a little break. Once we were in the heart of the area we were all alone with our horse driver and the four of us. That alone was an incredible experience but after the cart ride we hiked a while then ended up on the side of a lake where a boat took us and others through twists and turns through the various lakes of Kerry where we were finally picked up at one end and brought back to Killarney. I can’t recommend it enough.

1 Like